What is the significance of the constant A in Newton's Law of Cooling equation?

In summary, the equation e^k=A comes from the de, dT/dt=K(T-To). Using this, the problem is solved using the equation y(t)=-kye^kt. The final result is y(t)=T_{0}+Ae^{kt} where A is the difference between the initial temperature and the ambient temperature.
prace
I have a question about Newton's Law of cooling. Basically I understand that the equation,
http://album6.snapandshare.com/3936/45466/853596.jpg
Comes from the DE, dT/dt = K(T-To)

Using this, I am to solve this problem:

A thermometer is taken from an inside room to the outside, where the air temperature is 5 °F. After 1 minute, the thermometer reads 55 °F, and after 5 minutes the reading is 30 °F. What is the initial temperature?

So to start, I solved for e^k...

http://album6.snapandshare.com/3936/45466/853597.jpg

So now that I have e^k, what do I do? My guess is that A is the initial Temperature? But I am not sure and my text does not really explain it too well. So, basically, I guess I am asking, what is the constant A in the general formula mean? And if it is not the initial temperature, or initial condition, then what can I do next with this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Rewrite it as [tex] y(t) = y_{0}e^{kt} [/tex] where [tex] y = T - 5 [/tex].

So [tex] y(t) = y_{0}(\frac{1}{2})^{\frac{1}{4}t} [/tex]

[tex] y(1) = y_{0}(\frac{1}{2})^{\frac{1}{4}} [/tex]

Solve for [tex] y_{0} [/tex] and then get [tex] T_{0} [/tex]

You now have:
[tex]A=50*(\frac{1}{2})^{-\frac{1}{4}}[/tex]

The initial temperature is now found by computing T(0)

As for what A is, it is the DIFFERENCE between the initial temperature and the ambient temperature.

courtrigrad said:
Rewrite it as [tex] y(t) = y_{0}e^{kt} [/tex] where [tex] y = T - 5 [/tex].

So [tex] y(t) = y_{0}(\frac{1}{2})^{\frac{1}{4}t} [/tex]

[tex] y(1) = y_{0}(\frac{1}{2})^{\frac{1}{4}} [/tex]

Solve for [tex] y_{0} [/tex] and then get [tex] T_{0} [/tex]

So what you are saying here is that [tex] y_{0} [/tex] in your equation is [tex] T_{0} [/tex], which is the initial temperature?

arildno said:
You now have:
[tex]A=50*(\frac{1}{2})^{-\frac{1}{4}}[/tex]

The initial temperature is now found by computing T(0)

As for what A is, it is the DIFFERENCE between the initial temperature and the ambient temperature.

I don't think I am understanding this at all here... Sorry to put you through this, but, if A is the difference between the initial temperature and the ambient temperature, what is the variable for the initial temperature if [tex]T_{0}[/tex] is not the initial temperature, but the ambient temperature that arises as time gets very large or goes to infinity?

I don't get your question!
Let's start with the diff.eq, with an assigned initial temperature [itex]T_{i}=T(0)[/tex], and an ambient temperature [itex]T_{0}[/tex]
We have the diff.eq:
[tex]\frac{dT}{dt}=k(T-T_{0}), T(0)=T_{i}[/itex]
Introduce the new variable:
[tex]y(t)=T(t)-T_{0}\to\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dT}{dt}, y(0)=T_{i}-T_{0}[/tex]
Thus, we have the diff.eq problem:
[tex]y(t)=ky, y(0)=T_{i}-T_{0}\to{y}(t)=(T_{i}-T_{0})e^{kt}[/tex]

Thus, solving for T(t), we get:
[tex]T(t)=T_{0}+(T_{i}-T_{0})e^{kt}[/tex]
or more obscurely:
[tex]T(t)=T_{0}+Ae^{kt}[/tex]
where [itex]A=T_{i}-T_{0}[/itex]

[tex]T(t)=T_{0}+(T_{i}-T_{0})e^{kt}[/tex]

Wow... This really made it clear here. Sorry for the obscure questions, but you really nailed it for me here. I am going to try a few problems in my text and see how they work out. Thanks again!

Ok, so I worked it out and I got ~ 64.5°. If anyone has the time, would you mind checking this for me as I don't have the answer to this in my text. Thanks!

I haven't worked it out, but:
Start having confidence in yourself!
I'm sure you managed it all right.

I don't understand how we find k in problems like this where no initial temperature is given.
Do you have to compare the temps at t=1 and t=5?

Related to What is the significance of the constant A in Newton's Law of Cooling equation?

What is Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling is a mathematical equation that describes the rate at which an object cools down in a surrounding environment. It states that the rate of change of the temperature of an object is proportional to the difference between the object's temperature and the temperature of its surroundings.

What are the key components of Newton's Law of Cooling?

The key components of Newton's Law of Cooling are the initial temperature of the object, the temperature of the surrounding environment, the time elapsed, and the constant of proportionality, also known as the cooling rate.

How is Newton's Law of Cooling applied in real life?

Newton's Law of Cooling is applied in various fields such as meteorology, food preservation, medical science, and engineering. It is used to predict the cooling rates of objects and determine the best conditions for storing or transporting them.

What are the limitations of Newton's Law of Cooling?

Newton's Law of Cooling assumes that the surrounding environment remains constant, which may not always be the case. It also assumes that the object is a perfect sphere, which may not be true in real-life scenarios. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors that may affect the cooling rate, such as wind or humidity.

Can Newton's Law of Cooling be used to predict the temperature of an object at a specific time?

Yes, Newton's Law of Cooling can be used to predict the temperature of an object at a specific time by plugging in the initial temperature, surrounding temperature, and time into the equation. However, the accuracy of the prediction may vary depending on the limitations mentioned earlier.