What is the significance of the factor of 2 in the differentiation on orbifolds?

In summary, Randall and Sundrum use the fact that the extra dimension, \phi, is periodic to show that the second derivative of the absolute value function is equal to 2 times the sum of two delta functions with opposite signs. This is related to the \mathbb{Z}_2 symmetry of the S^1/\mathbb{Z}_2 orbifold. When lifting the absolute value function back to a function on R, we get a triangle wave which has a first derivative of a square wave. This leads to the distributional second derivative being equal to 2 times a sum of delta functions. This symmetric distribution is the correct result for the derivative on the orbifold.
jdstokes
I'm trying to understand how Randall and Sundrum go from Eq. (9) to Eq. (10) in their RS1 paper:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/9905221

I understand that since the extra dimension [itex]\phi[/itex] is periodic, we must have

[itex]\frac{d^2}{d\phi^2}|\phi|\propto \delta(0) - \delta(\phi - \pi)[/itex].

However, I'm not entirely sure why the proportionality constant is 2, i.e, why

[itex]\frac{d^2}{d\phi^2}|\phi|= 2[\delta(0) - \delta(\phi - \pi)][/itex].

I'm assuming that it's related to the [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex] symmetry of the [itex]S^1/\mathbb{Z}_2[/itex] orbifold, but I'm not sure how to show his.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if we lift the absolute value function back to be a function on R, we get a triangle wave; specifically, the function defined on [itex][-\pi, \pi][/itex] by [itex]f(x) = |x|[/itex], and extended periodically by [itex]f(x + 2\pi) = f(x)[/itex].

The first derivative of this function is a square wave (defined almost everywhere), alternating between 1 and -1. The second (distributional) derivative is therefore

[tex]f''(x) = \sum_{k = -\infty}^{+\infty} (-1)^k 2 \delta(x - k \pi)[/tex]

This distribution has the appropriate symmetry to be a distribution on your orbifold, being even and periodic, so I would think it ought to be the correct result for the derivative.

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually worked with orbifolds before)

Yes, but where did the factor of 2 come from??

Edit: Oh I get it. Thanks

[itex]|z|'' = sgn(z)' = [2\theta(z)-1]' = 2 \delta(z)[/itex].

Last edited:

Related to What is the significance of the factor of 2 in the differentiation on orbifolds?

1. What is an orbifold?

An orbifold is a mathematical concept that generalizes the idea of a manifold, which is a space that locally resembles Euclidean space. An orbifold allows for more complicated structures, such as singularities and corners, while still maintaining certain properties of a manifold.

2. What is differentiation on orbifolds?

Differentiation on orbifolds is the process of defining a derivative on a space that is locally an orbifold. This involves finding a way to calculate derivatives at points with singularities or corners, which can be more complicated than in the case of a smooth manifold.

3. What are some applications of differentiation on orbifolds?

Differentiation on orbifolds has applications in various areas of mathematics and physics, such as string theory, algebraic geometry, and symplectic geometry. It also has applications in the study of moduli spaces, which are spaces that classify objects with certain properties.

4. How is differentiation on orbifolds different from differentiation on manifolds?

Differentiation on orbifolds is more complicated than differentiation on manifolds because of the additional structures allowed on orbifolds, such as singularities and corners. This means that traditional methods of calculating derivatives may not work, and new techniques need to be developed.

5. What are some challenges in studying differentiation on orbifolds?

One of the main challenges in studying differentiation on orbifolds is the lack of a standard definition of the concept. Different researchers may use different definitions, making it difficult to compare and generalize results. Additionally, the presence of singularities and corners can make calculations and proofs more complicated.