What is the Simplest Form of a Field Extension of the Reals?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Kiwi1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extension
In summary, the conversation discusses solving questions related to simple extensions of the real numbers. The solution to question 5 involves showing that any simple extension of the reals has the form $\Bbb R(\sqrt{r})$, where $r < 0$, using the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra and its corollary. The conversation also mentions using arguments about squares and the isomorphism of two extensions.
Kiwi1
I am happy with my solutions of questions 1-4 below, but need some help on question 5.

View attachment 5165

5. The squares in the reals are simply the positive reals and the non-squares are the negative reals so the quotient of two no squares is the quotient of two negative reals that is a positive real of in fact a square in the reals. - QED.

I solved part 4 by arguing that any extension is of the form \(F(\sqrt{a})\) by question 1 and any two such extensions are isomorphic by question 3.

Now to the main part of question 5.
If I can argue that any simple extension of the reals has the form \(\mathbb{R}(a+ib)\) where \(a\in \mathbb{R}, b\in \mathbb{R}^\times\) then I can easily argue that any two such extensions are isomorphic.

Certainly, extensions like \(\mathbb{R}(a+ib)\) exist because the reals are a sub-field of the complex numbers but how do I exclude the possibility of some obscure element being appended in some field bigger than the complex numbers? This seems a bit like saying the only way to create a simple field extension is to use \(F(z) \cong F[x]/p(x)\) that certainly is one way, but I can't be sure it is the only way.

I am also worried that I have not used the argument about a/b being a square and it seems that the question want's me to use that information?

If I am going to use an argument around squares it seems like I would be better showing that \(\mathbb{R}(a+ib)\) contains a-ib and calculating (a+ib)(a-ib) rather than a square? Perhaps I create two cosets by setting \(H=\{a+ib:b\in \mathbb{R}^+\}\), this doesn't work because H is not a group.

Can someone please give me some guidance? In particular will I need to follow through all of the steps laid our by questions 1-4 or do I simply show that two extensions are isomorphic?

Note: \(\mathbb{C} \cong \mathbb{R}(i)\)

Attachments

• chap27_F.jpg
    chap27_F.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 66
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems something is missing, here-are you allowed to use the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, or its real corollary: any real polynomial factors into quadratic or linear factors?

In that case, I believe you are supposed to show that any simple extension of $\Bbb R$ is of the form $\Bbb R(\sqrt{r})$, where $r < 0$. Refer to part 2.

Thanks Deveno.

The Fundamental theorem of algebra and its corollary were both introduced in this chapter of my book. So yes I can use them.

I haven't worked through the detail yet, but I expect it will be straightforward now that I know:

\(\mathbb{R}(z) \cong \mathbb{R}/p(x)\) where p(x) is (quadratic with characteristic not equal to 2) if \(z \notin \mathbb{R}\).

Related to What is the Simplest Form of a Field Extension of the Reals?

1. What is a simple extension of the reals?

A simple extension of the reals is a mathematical concept that extends the real numbers to include new elements called "imaginary" or "complex" numbers. These numbers are represented by the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How are simple extensions of the reals used in science?

Simple extensions of the reals are used in various fields of science, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to represent and solve mathematical problems that involve quantities with both real and imaginary components, such as in electrical circuits and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some properties of simple extensions of the reals?

Simple extensions of the reals have similar properties to the real numbers, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. However, they also have additional properties such as conjugation and modulus, which are important in solving equations involving complex numbers.

4. Can simple extensions of the reals be visualized?

Unlike real numbers, simple extensions of the reals cannot be represented on a one-dimensional number line. However, they can be visualized on a two-dimensional complex plane, where the real numbers are represented on the x-axis and the imaginary numbers on the y-axis.

5. Are there any real-life applications of simple extensions of the reals?

Simple extensions of the reals have many real-life applications, such as in signal processing, control systems, and image processing. They are also used in designing and analyzing electronic circuits and in understanding the behavior of waves and vibrations in physical systems.