What is the Sixth Digit of a Number That is a Multiple of 73 and 137?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the 6th digit from the left of an eight digit number that is a multiple of 73 and 137. The conversation mentions trying methods such as raising 73 to the 4th power and finding the LCM, but ultimately the solution is found by looking for patterns between the second and sixth digits of the number. The conversation also clarifies that the least common multiple is always divisible by both numbers.
eightsquare

Homework Statement

An eight digit number is a multiple of 73 and 137. If the second digit from the left of the number is seven, find the 6th digit from the left of the number.

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know any clear method for solving this problem. I raised 73 to the 4th power and got an eight digit number, but it didn't have 7 as the second digit. Since 73 is very small compared to an eight digit number, it is impractical to write down all the eight digit numbers which are multiples of 73 and then finding one which is common with 137. Moreover, this problem is from an Olympiad and needs to be solved within roughly 72 seconds. I thought about LCM next but once I got the LCM(10001), I had no idea what to do with it. The HCF is 1(both numbers being prime). I substituted the numbers for variables. We get a7cdefgh. We need to find f. The problem is that I just don't see a way to solve this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is 10001 x 1, x 2, x 3, .. x 12, x 13 etc. Do you see a pattern between the second digit and the sixth digits from the left of the number?

Oh i see it now. Thank you. So is a multiple of the lcm of two numbers divisible by each of the two numbers as a rule?

eightsquare said:
Oh i see it now. Thank you. So is a multiple of the lcm of two numbers divisible by each of the two numbers as a rule?

What do you think is meant by"lcm"?

eightsquare said:

Yes, the least common multiple of two numbers is (by definition) always divisible by the two numbers. Thus every multiple is divisible by the two numbers too.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the Sixth Digit of a Number That is a Multiple of 73 and 137?

What is the definition of real numbers?

The real numbers are a set of numbers that include all rational and irrational numbers. They can be represented on a number line and are denoted by the symbol ℝ.

What are the properties of real numbers?

The properties of real numbers include commutative property, associative property, distributive property, identity property, and inverse property. These properties can be used to manipulate and solve real number problems.

How do you solve equations involving real numbers?

To solve equations involving real numbers, you can use the standard algebraic techniques such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It is also important to simplify the equation and isolate the variable to one side to find the solution.

What is the order of operations for solving real number problems?

The order of operations for solving real number problems is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This order ensures that the problem is solved correctly.

How can I check my answer for a real number problem?

You can check your answer for a real number problem by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. Another way is to use a calculator or online tool to verify the answer.