What is the smallest horizontal force needed to move the crate upward?

In summary, the smallest horizontal force that is necessary to begin moving the crate upward is 141 N.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

The crate shown is held against wedge B by a spring. The spring is 96.0% of its original uncompressed lengthl=2.75m, and the spring constant is given ask=1650N/m. The coefficient of static friction at all contacting surfaces is μs=0.150. The mass of the crate is m=22.0kg . The angle is θ=11.0∘. Neglect the mass of the wedge. Assume the crate only moves in the y direction and that wedge A cannot move.
8.3_main.jpg

Determine the magnitude of the smallest horizontal force P that is necessary to begin moving the crate upward.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the normal from the spring and the weight of the box to be 397N (this is known to be the correct value).

Since A can't move, we can draw a FBD of block B.

Untitled.png

I noticed that I drew the line for the 79 degree angle for f wrong. ignore it. The 79 degrees is supposed to be along the Y-axis. The number is still correct.

Sum of the forces in X = 0 = -P + Ncos79 + .15Nsin79

Sum of the forces in Y=0=-397+NSin79 - .15Ncos79

Using a matrix to solve for P we get P=141 N which is incorrect. I've ran out of ideas here. Every way I do it I seem to get the same answer but it supposedly incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have substituted your integer answer into the equations and confirmed it's a perfect fit?

Do you know what the correct answer is supposed to be?

I make the spring & weight combo to be 397.1N (using g=9.8 m/s²).

Last edited:
Yes. It's close enough. The answer doesn't need to be exact. It's 3 sig-figs and within 5 or 10 % and the program will let you know the answer.

My working agrees with your pair of ∑ f equations.

Likes Feodalherren
Very strange... I will ask my professor tomorrow. Thank you, Sir.

You forgot the force of static friction between the crate and block B, opposing block B moving to the left (it points to the right at the top of the block). When you sum forces in the x this will change your answer slightly for F which actually changes a lot in your answer. Hope this helps anyone else who is looking to this for help!

Related to What is the smallest horizontal force needed to move the crate upward?

What is a wedge problem in ME Statics?

A wedge problem in ME Statics refers to a type of statics problem where a wedge-shaped object is used to lift or move another object. The goal is to determine the forces acting on the wedge and the object being lifted or moved.

What are the key principles involved in solving a wedge problem?

The key principles involved in solving a wedge problem include the law of action and reaction, the law of equilibrium, and the concept of friction. These principles help to determine the forces and moments acting on the wedge and the object being lifted.

How do you draw a free body diagram for a wedge problem?

To draw a free body diagram for a wedge problem, you start by drawing the wedge and the object being lifted. Then, you draw arrows to represent the forces acting on each object, such as weight, normal force, and friction. Be sure to include the direction and magnitude of each force.

What are some common assumptions made when solving a wedge problem?

Some common assumptions made when solving a wedge problem include assuming that the wedge and the object being lifted are both rigid bodies, that there is no slipping between the wedge and the object, and that the surfaces are rough enough to provide sufficient friction. These assumptions simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.

What are some real-world applications of wedge problems?

Wedge problems have many real-world applications, such as in construction, where wedges are used to lift heavy objects, and in engineering, where wedges are used in various machines and tools. They are also commonly used in physics and mechanics courses to teach students about the principles of statics and the importance of understanding forces and moments.