What Is the Smallest Radius of Curvature for the TGV Train?

In summary: Km/hr^2So the smallest radius of curvature the track can have is 6.12 Km and the maximum speed the train can go around a curve of radius 0.9 km without exceeding the acceleration limit is 31.76 Km/hr.
mattmannmf
The fast French train known as the TGV (Train a Grande Vitesse) has a scheduled average speed of 216 km/h. If the train goes around the a corner and the maximum acceleration experienced by the passengers is limited to 0.06 g, what is the smallest radius of curvature the track can have? 6.12Km

b) What is the maximum speed the train can go around a curve of radius 0.9 km if train is not to exceed this acceleration limit?

I don't know what I'm doing wrong for Part B. For part A i did the following:

Vo/ Ac= radius

216/ (.06*g*60)= 6.12 km

now I am trying to find just the speed or Vo which should be like the above but just altered to find the speed:

Vo= Ac*radius

Vo= (.06*g*60)*.9= 31.752 Km/hr...but that's not right.

I then tried to put it into a ratio: 216/6.12= Vo/.9 and solved for Vo which i got as 31.764...very close to my orignal answer.

PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
I also tried to square root 31.752 but it was wrong.

Vo/ Ac= radius

216/ (.06*g*60)= 6.12 km

Can you explain this calculation? What is 60? what is the value of g you have taken?

well the 60sec came from sec=> hours which is 3600sec= 1 hour. the equation is this:
Ac= Vo^2 (squared)/R

So all i did was take the square root of 3600=> 60 (just pretty much eliminating the square root

the problem wants it in km/hr...not m/s

mattmannmf said:
well the 60sec came from sec=> hours which is 3600sec= 1 hour. the equation is this:
Ac= Vo^2 (squared)/R

So all i did was take the square root of 3600=> 60 (just pretty much eliminating the square root

the problem wants it in km/hr...not m/s
You have written Ac = Vo^2/R.
So to calculate R, where is the equation of taking square root arises?

i have no idea what you mean...

I solved for A already...that answer i gave you is correct 6.12

I am solving for B which involves solving for Velocity...not radius.

the radius is .9Km
the acceleration is .06g which is in m/s^2

i think my conversions are wrong..i don't know what I am doing wrong with my conversions

its 6.12 Km..so i was able to convert correctly
the velocity they want is Km/hr

and the first problem A..the 216 velocity is in Km/hr

so doing .06*g*60 is the conversion for acceleration in Km/hr

mattmannmf said:
its 6.12 Km..so i was able to convert correctly
the velocity they want is Km/hr

and the first problem A..the 216 velocity is in Km/hr

so doing .06*g*60 is the conversion for acceleration in Km/hr
0.06g* (1/1000)/(1/3600)^2 = 0.06*g*3.6*3600

FAQ: What Is the Smallest Radius of Curvature for the TGV Train?

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the square of the velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

2. How is centripetal acceleration different from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circle. Centripetal acceleration causes a change in direction, while tangential acceleration causes a change in speed.

3. What causes centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is caused by a centripetal force acting on an object. This force can come from various sources such as tension, gravity, or friction. It is necessary to maintain an object's circular motion.

4. How is centripetal acceleration related to centripetal force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. Therefore, centripetal force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration. In other words, centripetal acceleration is directly proportional to centripetal force.

5. Can centripetal acceleration be negative?

Yes, centripetal acceleration can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the acceleration is opposite to the direction of the velocity of the object. Negative centripetal acceleration can cause an object to slow down or change direction.

Back