What is the solution for object distance in a diverging lens?

In summary: Make sure you write out all the steps, and don't take shortcuts. For example, when you wrote "m-1=-s'/f", how did you get that? Show all the steps. To check your algebra, you can always plug in numerical values for s' and f. For example, suppose s' = 2 and f = 3. Then your original equation was m = -2/3 + 1. That means m = -1/3. Now, if you plug that into your final equation, you should get 1/s = 1/3 + 1/(3*(-1/3)) - 1/3. If you don't get this, then you know you've made a
ghostops

Homework Statement

Now consider a diverging lens with focal length f=−15cm, producing an upright image that is 5/9 as tall as the object.
What is the object distance? You will need to use the magnification equation to find a relationship between s and s′s′. Then substitute into the thin lens equation to solve for s.

Homework Equations

1) M = -s'/s

2) 1/s+1/s'=1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

using equation 2 I solved for s' then subsituted that into equation 1 and solved for s and from that put it back into equation s and solved for s and ended up with the answer of -65/3.

However this was the wrong answer and do not know what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
ghostops said:
using equation 2 I solved for s'

And what did you get? Show exactly what you substituted into the equation.

then subsituted that into equation 1 and solved for s

Ditto.

and from that put it back into equation s and solved for s and ended up with the answer of -65/3.

Double ditto. (Well, you've told us the answer you got, but we still need to see exactly how you got it.)

However this was the wrong answer and do not know what I did wrong.

It's hard for us to tell you what you did wrong, if you don't tell us exactly what you did. If you show us all the steps explicitly, we can tell you which step went wrong.

step 1: s = (1/f-1/s')^-1

step 2: m=-s'/((1/f-1/s)^-1)
m=-s'(1/f-1/s)
m=-(s'/f-1)
(f/s')m=1
f/s'=1/m
f=s'/m
s' = f(m)

step 3: 1/s+1/fm=1/f
1/s=1/f-1/fm
s=(f-fm)^-1

Double check your algebra. There is at least one fairly serious mistakes there. In step 2, how did you get from the third line to the fourth line?

Last edited:
ghostops said:
step 1: s = (1/f-1/s')^-1

step 2: m=-s'/s=-s'/((1/f-1/s)^-1)

Check this step carefully. I added an intermediate step in red to (hopefully) make the error more obvious.

yeah I see it now

so starting my from my mistake
m=-s'/s=-s'/(f-s') = (-s'/f)-(s'/-s)'
m = -s'/f+1

m = -s'/f+1
m-1=-s'/f
fm+-f=-s'
-fm+f=s'

1/s-1/fm+f=1/f
1/s=1/f+1/fm-f
1/s = 1/f + 1/fm -1/f
s=(fm)^-1

Last edited:
ghostops said:

No, the part that I put in red isn't true. What you're trying to do here is similar to 1/(a-b) = 1/a - 1/b, which doesn't work. (Try it with a numerical example if you need to convince yourself.)

ghostops said:
yeah I see it now

so starting my from my mistake
m = -s'/f+1

m = -s'/f+1
m-1=-s'/f
fm+-f=-s'
-fm+f=s'

1/s-1/fm+f=1/f
1/s=1/f+1/fm-f
1/s = 1/f + 1/fm -1/f
s=(fm)^-1

how did you go from -fm+f=s'
to 1/s-1/fm+f=1/f ?

You 're making too many silly algebra mistakes. You need more practice.

FAQ: What is the solution for object distance in a diverging lens?

What is the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation is a mathematical formula that relates the object distance (u), image distance (v), and focal length (f) of a thin lens. It is represented as:
1/u + 1/v = 1/f

How do you calculate the object distance?

The object distance (u) can be calculated by rearranging the thin lens equation to solve for u:
u = 1/(1/v - 1/f)

What is the difference between a real and virtual image?

A real image is formed when light rays converge and can be projected onto a screen. It is always inverted and can be captured by a camera. A virtual image, on the other hand, is formed when light rays appear to converge but do not actually intersect. It is always upright and cannot be captured by a camera.

How does the object distance affect the image distance?

As the object distance increases, the image distance decreases. This means that the image will appear closer to the lens. Similarly, as the object distance decreases, the image distance increases and the image appears further from the lens.

Can a thin lens create a magnified or reduced image?

Yes, a thin lens can create both magnified and reduced images depending on the object distance and focal length. If the object is placed within the focal length, a magnified image will be formed. If the object is placed beyond the focal length, a reduced image will be formed.