What is the solution for the wave equation using u = cos(kx-wt)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave equation for a stretched string, which includes terms for tension (T), mass per unit length (mu), and the spring constant (B). The conversation also shows that the wave given by u = cos(kx-wt) is a solution of this equation. The dispersion relation w(k), wave speed v, and group velocity vg are also derived from this equation.
kiranm
For a real stretched string, the wave equation is

(partial deriv)^2 (u)/partial deriv t^2 = (T/mu) (partial deriv)^2 (u)/partial deriv x^2 - B/mu(y)

where T is the tension in the string, mu is its mass per unit length and B is its "spring constant".
Show that the wave given by u = cos(kx-wt) is a solution of this equation

I know that v^2 (speed of wave) = T/mu and v^2= w^2/k^2 and 1/v^2= k^2/w^2

What i attempted was:
(partial deriv)^2 (u)/partial deriv t^2= -w^2 cos (kx-wt)
(partial deriv)^2 (u)/partial deriv x^2= -k^2 cos (kx-wt)
so i plugged this into the equation above and ended up with:
By= (cos(kx-wt))*(-Tk^2 + muw^2)
but i don't know how to prove that wave given by u=cos(kx-wt) is a solution of this equation

Physics news on Phys.org
kiranm said:
For a real stretched string, the wave equation is

(partial deriv)^2 (u)/partial deriv t^2 = (T/mu) (partial deriv)^2 (u)/partial deriv x^2 - B/mu(y)

Are you sure this is right? I don't think the B/mu(y) term is supposed to be there.

Yeah that's what was given in the question but its B/mu * y but it says that B represents the spring constant

and would you know how to derive the dispersion relation w(k), the wave speed v, and the group velocity vg?

for the above where i had cos(kx-wt)= By/(mu*w^2-Tk^2) the denominator mu*w^2 - Tk^2=0 because v^2= w^2/k^2 = T/mu and cross multiply this makes mu*w^2-Tk^2=0

im guessing instead of (B/mu)y it should be (B/mu)u

so yeh find partial derivatives of u wrt x and t, sub these in and sub in cos(kx-wt) for u and it all works out

dispersion relation w(k) is √((k^2T + B)/mu)
find v from v = w/k and v_g from v_g = dw/dk

Related to What is the solution for the wave equation using u = cos(kx-wt)?

1. What is the wave equation?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula that describes the behavior of waves in various systems, such as sound waves or electromagnetic waves. It is typically written in the form of a partial differential equation and is used to analyze wave phenomena in different fields of science and engineering.

2. What are the variables in the wave equation?

There are typically three variables in the wave equation: time, position, and the wave function. The wave function represents the displacement of the wave at a given point in space and time, while the other two variables determine the location and time of observation.

3. How is the wave equation derived?

The wave equation is derived from other fundamental laws of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of energy. It is based on the assumption that waves can be described as a disturbance propagating through a medium, and the equation is derived by applying this principle to different types of waves.

4. What are the applications of the wave equation?

The wave equation has numerous applications in various fields of science and engineering. It is used to study and understand the behavior of waves in different systems, such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetism. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of musical instruments, communication systems, and medical imaging technologies.

5. How does the wave equation relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the wave equation is used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. This is known as the Schrödinger equation, and it is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a particular position and time. It is derived from the principles of wave-particle duality and is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter at a quantum level.