What is the Solution to a Tension Problem using Trigonometry?

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitude and direction of the smallest force P and the corresponding magnitude of R using trigonometry. The horizontal component of force Q must be canceled for the resultant to be vertical. Using the law of cosines and the law of sines, the magnitude of P can be found and then used to find the third angle alpha. This angle should be a right angle, as the smallest force needed with P is a horizontal force to cancel out the horizontal component of Q.
jonnyboy

Homework Statement

Two cables are attached to a sign at point A to steady the sign as it is being lowered. Using Trigonometry, determine a) the magnitude and direction of the smallest force P for which the resultant R of the two forces applied at A is vertical, b) the corresponding magnitude of R

Homework Equations

Use Law of cosines (R^2 = Q^2 + P^2 - 2QPcos(theta))
and Law of sines P/sin(opp. angle) = Q/sin(opp. angle)

The Attempt at a Solution

diagram is shown in attachment. I only have one magnitude and one angle and I'm supposed to get an angle alpha so that P is the min.

Attachments

• p1.bmp
    213.8 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea where ure stuck at but ill drop a small hint:

The horizontal component of force Q must cancel for the resultant to be vertical.

Right, thanks. it's the small things that get me. taking the horz component of Q (80sin(35) = P = 45.9) gives the magnitude of p. Then, using law of sines to get alpha, I can get the third angle and then use law of cosines to get mag of R

jonnyboy said:
Right, thanks. it's the small things that get me. taking the horz component of Q (80sin(35) = P = 45.9) gives the magnitude of p. Then, using law of sines to get alpha, I can get the third angle and then use law of cosines to get mag of R

if you have already noticed if you went ahead with the above, alpha should be a right angle since the smallest force you need with p is a horizontal force to cancel out with the horizontal component of Q.

Related to What is the Solution to a Tension Problem using Trigonometry?

1. What is tension?

Tension is a pulling force transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or similar object.

2. How does trigonometry apply to tension problems?

Trigonometry can be used to solve for the magnitude and direction of tension in a system of ropes or cables. It involves using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to calculate the angles and lengths involved in the tension problem.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension?

Static tension refers to the amount of force applied to an object that is not moving, while dynamic tension is the force applied to an object that is in motion. Trigonometry can be used to solve for both static and dynamic tension problems.

4. Can trigonometry be used to solve for tension in three-dimensional systems?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to solve for tension in three-dimensional systems. It involves using three-dimensional trigonometry, which takes into account the angles and lengths in three dimensions, to solve for the magnitude and direction of tension.

5. What are some real-life applications of trigonometry in solving tension problems?

Trigonometry is commonly used in engineering and construction to determine the tension in cables and ropes used in bridges, cranes, and other structures. It is also used in physics and mechanics to analyze the forces acting on objects and determine the tension within a system.