What is the solution to Killing equations for the given metric?

• Thread starter PhyPsy
  • Start date
In summary, the Killing vector solutions for the metric g_x{_x}=x^2, g_x{_y}=g_y{_x}=0, g_y{_y}=x are X^x=0, X^y=c, where c is any function of y. This is because d/dy corresponds to translation in the y direction, which is an isometry of the metric.
PhyPsy

Homework Statement

Find all Killing vector solutions of the metric
[tex]g_x{_x}=x^2, g_x{_y}=g_y{_x}=0, g_y{_y}=x[/tex]
where [itex](x^a)=(x^0, x^1)=(x, y)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Killing equations:
[tex]L_Xg_a{_b} = X^e\partial_eg_a{_b}+g_a{_d}\partial_bX^d+g_b{_d}{\partial}_aX^d = 0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]L_Xg_x{_x} = X^a+x\partial_xX^a=0[/tex]
[tex]L_Xg_x{_y}= L_Xg_y{_x}=x\partial_yX^a+\partial_xX^a=0[/tex]
[tex]L_Xg_y{_y}=X^a+2x\partial_yX^a=0[/tex]
In the back of the book, it says the solution is [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex]. I don't really know what they mean by that. I've always seen [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex] as an operation that takes the partial derivative of something with respect to y, not a value. I thought perhaps it meant any function that depends only on y and not on x, but if I plug that into the equations above, I get:
[tex]f(y)\neq0[/tex]
[tex]x\partial_yf\neq0[/tex]
[tex]f(y)+2x\partial_yf\neq0[/tex]
I'm pretty sure I've got the equations correct; I just don't know what they mean when they say the solution is [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex].

Physics news on Phys.org
The equations in the first post are wrong. The equations should be:[tex]L_Xg_x{_x}=2xX^x+2x^2\partial_xX^x=0[/tex][tex]L_Xg_x{_y}=L_Xg_y{_x}=x^2\partial_yX^x+x\partial_xX^y=0[/tex][tex]L_Xg_y{_y}=X^x+2x\partial_yX^y=0[/tex]
The first equation restricts you to [itex]X^x=\frac{1}{x}f(y)[/itex], and anything I do with the second and third equations, I come up with [itex]-\frac{1}{2x^3}f(y)=\partial_y\partial_yf(y)[/itex]. Obviously, there is no solution to this except [itex]f(y)=0[/itex], so I'm still finding the only possible solution to be [itex]X^x=0, X^y=c[/itex].

I found out that [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex] indeed means any function of y. I'm not sure why they would offer that as a solution when there are 2 vectors I am solving for. Can anyone figure out why [itex]\frac{\partial}{{\partial}y}[/itex] is a solution in the back of the book?

Last edited:
d/dx and d/dy are a basis for the space of tangent vectors. So a general vector is written as X^x*d/dx+X^y*d/dy. Saying d/dy is a solution is just saying X^x=0 and X^y=1 is a solution. And it is, isn't it? You've already shown that. If you think of what a Killing vector means as an isometry of the metric, then d/dy corresponds to translation in the y direction. And it's pretty obvious that's an isometry, yes?

Last edited:

Related to What is the solution to Killing equations for the given metric?

1. What is the "Solution to Killing equations"?

The Solution to Killing equations, also known as the Killing equations, are a set of partial differential equations that describe the symmetry properties of a given space or manifold. They were first introduced by the Danish mathematician Wilhelm Killing in the late 19th century.

2. Why are the Killing equations important in physics and mathematics?

The Killing equations play a crucial role in both physics and mathematics as they provide a powerful tool for analyzing the symmetries of a given space. In physics, they are used to study the symmetries of physical systems, such as in general relativity and supergravity. In mathematics, they are used in differential geometry to study the properties of manifolds.

3. What is the solution to the Killing equations?

The solution to the Killing equations is a set of vector fields, known as Killing vectors, that satisfy the equations. These vectors represent the infinitesimal generators of the symmetries of a given space. In simpler terms, they describe the directions in which a space remains unchanged under certain transformations.

4. How are the Killing equations solved?

There is no general method for solving the Killing equations, as it depends on the specific space or manifold being studied. In some cases, the equations can be solved analytically, while in others, numerical methods may be used. The solution of the equations can also be aided by using symmetry arguments and techniques from group theory.

5. What are some applications of the Killing equations?

The Killing equations have numerous applications in physics and mathematics. In physics, they are used to study the symmetries of physical systems, such as black holes and cosmological models. In mathematics, they are used to study the properties of manifolds and in the classification of geometries. They also have applications in other fields, such as computer graphics and robotics.

Back