What is the solution to the magnetic field problem in Purcell's book?

In summary: So I use the formula \frac{\mu _0 I}{4 \pi}\oint Id\vec l \times \frac{\vec r}{r^3} for AB and CD.I do not know if I have made myself clear.Okay, now I understand. Yes, your solution is correct in this case. Good job!In summary, the conversation was about a student trying to understand an exercise in Purcell's book regarding a curvilinear integral with perpendicular vectors. Through the conversation, the student realizes their intuition was wrong and learns the correct formula for the magnetic field at a point. They also clarify the use of dl in calculating the magnetic field and confirm their solution to the exercise.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I was reading Purcell's book (see page 209, figure 6.6a : http://books.google.com.ar/books?id...resnum=1&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false) and I fell over an exercise I had done previously, but he says that the curvilinear integral is null because BC and DA are perpendicular to B and they contribute to nothing. (I understand that they don't contribute to the B field thanks to Biot-Savart law, because [tex]d\vec l[/tex] and [tex]\vec r[/tex] are parallel, so the cross product is null. But from his argument I don't understand at all since CD and AB are also orthogonal to B!).
However he also says that AB cancels out CD, hence the total integral is null. That was what my intuition believed before I solved the exercise.
Precisely, I get that [tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu _0 I}{4\pi r_1}-\frac{\mu _0 I}{4 \pi r_2} \hat k[/tex]. And because [tex]r_2>r_1[/tex], the magnetic field is not null.
Notice that I took [tex]\hat k[/tex] pointing into the sheet of paper.

I'd appreciate very much if someone could point me if I did wrong the exercise and explain better the situation. (I don't see how Purcell's argument holds, but he's a Nobel prize and I'm just a second year student).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry to bump this thread, but I'm extremely worried about this issue!
Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
And feel free to infract me, I deserve it as I know I shouldn't bump.

If I had understand the problem, what you are looking for is calculate the integral [tex]\oint_C \vec{B}\cdot\vec{dl}[/tex].
fluidistic said:
But from his argument I don't understand at all since CD and AB are also orthogonal to B!).
CD and AB are not orthogonal to B.
fluidistic said:
That was what my intuition believed before I solved the exercise.
Precisely, I get that [tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu _0 I}{4\pi r_1}-\frac{\mu _0 I}{4 \pi r_2} \hat k[/tex].
Your intuition is wrong. [tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r_1}[/tex] and [tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r_2}[/tex] in the parts AB and CD respectively.
fluidistic said:
Notice that I took [tex]\hat k[/tex] pointing into the sheet of paper.
B is not pointing into the sheet, is pointing around the wire. In figure, the wire is the origin of the vector r1 and r2.

UgOOgU said:
If I had understand the problem, what you are looking for is calculate the integral [tex]\oint_C \vec{B}\cdot\vec{dl}[/tex].
Yes.

UgOOgU said:
CD and AB are not orthogonal to B.

Your intuition is wrong. [tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r_1}[/tex] and [tex]B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r_2}[/tex] in the parts AB and CD respectively.

B is not pointing into the sheet, is pointing around the wire. In figure, the wire is the origin of the vector r1 and r2.
Oh... I misunderstood totally the situation. I thought the current was carried by ABCD.
In the case it's carried by ABCD, is the magnetic field at point P worth [tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu _0 I}{4\pi r_1}-\frac{\mu _0 I}{4 \pi r_2} \hat k[/tex] as my first post suggests?

Thanks a lot for the clarification!

fluidistic said:
In the case it's carried by ABCD, is the magnetic field at point P worth [tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu _0 I}{4\pi r_1}-\frac{\mu _0 I}{4 \pi r_2} \hat k[/tex] as my first post suggests?
Unfortunatelly no. B is equal to [tex]\frac{\mu _0 I}{2\pi r_1}[/tex] solely in the case of an infinitely long wire. In the present case, you have to realize the Biot-Savart integration. Try, it is not difficult.

P.S.: "Usted hablas español, my amigo?"

UgOOgU said:
Unfortunatelly no. B is equal to [tex]\frac{\mu _0 I}{2\pi r_1}[/tex] solely in the case of an infinitely long wire. In the present case, you have to realize the Biot-Savart integration. Try, it is not difficult.

P.S.: "Usted hablas español, my amigo?"

Ok suppose that the angle APB is worth [tex]\theta[/tex].
[tex]d\vec B = \frac{\mu _0}{4 \pi} I d\vec l \times \frac{\vec r}{r^3}[/tex]. For the AB part, [tex]\vec B = \frac{\mu _0 }{4\pi} \oint I \cdot d\vec l \times \frac{\vec r}{r^3} =\frac{\mu _0 I \theta r_1}{4\pi r_1^2} \hat k=\frac{\mu _0 I \theta}{4 \pi r_1} \hat k[/tex].

[tex]\vec B[/tex] due to CD: [tex]-\frac{\mu _0 I \theta}{4 \pi r_2} \hat k[/tex].

So [tex]\vec B[/tex] total is [tex]\left ( \frac{\mu _0 I \theta}{4 \pi r_1}-\frac{\mu _0 I \theta}{4 \pi r_2} \right ) \hat k[/tex].
I hope it's right now.
And yes, I do speak Spanish. :smile:

What you have to do is calculate B in the points of the segments AB and CD. dl is not upper these segments, is upper the wire that generate B.
[tex]B = \oint_{wire}...[/tex]

UgOOgU said:
What you have to do is calculate B in the points of the segments AB and CD. dl is not upper these segments, is upper the wire that generate B.
[tex]B = \oint_{wire}...[/tex]

Oh yes I know but I was solving a different problem. The problem where the B field is generated by ABCD and P lies where the wire of page 209 is.

Related to What is the solution to the magnetic field problem in Purcell's book?

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force field that is created by moving electrical charges, such as electrons. It is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the field.

2. How is a magnetic field measured?

A magnetic field is measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G) using a device called a magnetometer. The strength of a magnetic field can vary depending on the distance from the source and the material it is passing through.

3. What are the effects of a magnetic field on objects?

A magnetic field can exert a force on objects made of ferromagnetic materials such as iron, nickel, and cobalt. It can also cause charged particles to move, which is the basis for many technologies such as electric motors and generators.

4. What is a magnetic field problem?

A magnetic field problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing and solving for the behavior of objects in the presence of a magnetic field. These problems can range from calculating the force on a charged particle to designing complex magnetic devices.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in everyday life. They are used in technologies such as MRI machines, speakers, and magnetic storage devices. They are also essential for navigation, as Earth's magnetic field is used by compasses to determine direction.