What is the solution to this challenging nonlinear PDE?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a nonlinear PDE (partial differential equation) is a complex mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. Unlike linear PDEs, which have simple and predictable solutions, nonlinear PDEs are difficult to solve and often require advanced techniques. Scientists use numerical, analytic, and approximation methods to solve these challenging equations, but not all situations have a solution. In these cases, scientists may use approximations or numerical simulations to find an approximate solution.
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Find a non-trivial solution to the following nonlinear partial differential equation:
$$u_t=u^3 u_{xxx}.$$
Check your solution by plugging it into the DE.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's University POTW completely. An honorable mention goes to kiwi, who demonstrated a solution, but did not know how to get the solution initially. kiwi did mention this is Dym's equation, which is correct. After detailed looking at the problem, I found that I also was not able to solve it from scratch. So I will post my partial solution, along with kiwi's partial solution.
My partial solution:

Dym's equation is a rare bird: a nonlinear PDE for which you can separate variables. Suppose $u(x,t)=X(x) \, T(t)$, and I'll use primes for spatial derivatives and dots for temporal. Then Dym's equation yields
\begin{align*}
X\dot{T}&=X^3 T^4 X''' \\
\frac{\dot{T}}{T^4}&=X^2 \, X''' \\
\frac{\dot{T}}{T^4}&=k \\
X^2 \, X'''&=k.
\end{align*}
The $T$ equation yields:
\begin{align*}
T^{-4} \, \dot{T}&=k \\
\frac{T^{-3}}{-3}&=kt+C_1 \\
T^{-3}&=-3kt+C_1 \\
T&=(-3kt+C_1)^{-1/3}.
\end{align*}
Unfortunately, the $X$ equation doesn't seem tractable:
\begin{align*}
X^2 \, X'''&=k, \quad \text{or} \\
X^3 \, X'''&=k \, X.
\end{align*}
I'm stuck here. If anyone has a good idea on this ODE, I'd be grateful. In doing a bit more research, it appears that explicit solutions, in general, are difficult to obtain.

Here is kiwi's partial solution:

I don't know how to solve this PDE but it is the Dym equation which has the solution:

[tex]u(t,x)=[-3 \alpha (x + 4 \alpha ^2 t)]^{2/3}[/tex]

So

Let [tex]y =[-3 \alpha (x + 4 \alpha ^2 t)][/tex]

[tex]u_t=\frac {-2}3 y^{-1/3}12 \alpha ^3=-8 y^{-1/3} \alpha ^3[/tex]

[tex]u_x=\frac {-2}3 y^{-1/3}3 \alpha =-2 y^{-1/3} \alpha[/tex]

[tex]u_{xx}=-2 \alpha \frac{-1}{3}y^{-4/3}(-3 \alpha)=-2 \alpha^2 y^{-4/3}[/tex]

[tex]u_{xxx}=-2 \alpha^2 \frac{-4}{3}y^{-7/3}(-3 \alpha)=-8 \alpha^3 y^{-7/3}[/tex]

So

[tex]u^3 u_{xxx}=-8 \alpha^3 y^{-7/3}y^2=-8 y^{-1/3}\alpha^3=u_t[/tex] as required.

Related to What is the solution to this challenging nonlinear PDE?

1. What is a nonlinear PDE?

A nonlinear PDE (partial differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. Unlike linear PDEs, which have simple and predictable solutions, nonlinear PDEs have more complex and challenging solutions that are often difficult to find.

2. Why are nonlinear PDEs considered challenging?

Nonlinear PDEs are considered challenging because they do not have simple and predictable solutions like linear PDEs. They often involve complicated mathematical operations and require advanced techniques to solve. Additionally, the behavior of nonlinear PDEs can be highly sensitive to small changes in initial conditions, making them difficult to solve accurately.

3. What methods are used to solve nonlinear PDEs?

There are several methods used to solve nonlinear PDEs, including numerical methods, analytic methods, and approximations. Numerical methods involve using computer algorithms to approximate the solution, while analytic methods involve finding an exact solution through mathematical techniques. Approximations involve simplifying the nonlinear PDE to a more manageable form, allowing for easier solution.

4. How do scientists approach solving a challenging nonlinear PDE?

Scientists typically approach solving a challenging nonlinear PDE by first understanding the problem and its boundary conditions. They then choose an appropriate method or combination of methods to solve the PDE, such as numerical or analytic methods. The solution is then refined and checked for accuracy before being applied to real-world problems or further research.

5. Can nonlinear PDEs be solved for all situations?

No, not all nonlinear PDEs can be solved analytically or numerically. Some nonlinear PDEs are too complex to be solved with current mathematical techniques, while others may have no solution at all. In these cases, scientists may use approximations or numerical simulations to find a solution that closely approximates the real-world behavior of the system described by the PDE.