What is the solution to this circuit problem involving Kirchoff's Laws?

• Thread starter dougyunker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws Loop
V and ε2 = 5 V) and four resistors (R1 = 110 Ω, R2 = 40 Ω, R3 = 50 Ω, and R4 = 50 Ω) and that the equations used are E1-I1R1-I3R3-I4R4=0 and E1-I1R1-I2R2-E2-I4R4=0.In summary, the given circuit consists of two batteries and four resistors. The equations used to solve the problem are E1-I1R1-I3R3-I4R4=0 and E1
dougyunker

Homework Statement

The circuit in the figure is composed of two batteries (ε1 = 8 V and ε2 = 5 V) and four resistors (R1 = 110 Ω, R2 = 40 Ω, R3 = 50 Ω, and R4 = 50 Ω) as shown.

Image: See Attachment
OR: https://smart.physics.illinois.edu/images/phys102/Homework/03/cir06.gif

Homework Equations

I1=I4=I2+I3
E1-I1R1-I3R3-I4R4=0
E1-I1R1-I2R2-E2-I4R4=0

The Attempt at a Solution

First Equation: 8-110(I1)-50(I3)-50(I4)=0
Sub I4=I1 -> 8-160(I1)-50(I3)=0
Second Equation: 8-110(I1)-40(I2)-5-50(I4)=0
Sub I4=I1 -> 3-160(I1)-40(I2)=0
Sub I2=I1-I3 -> 160(I1)+40(I1)-40(I3)=3

Compare two equations:

160(I1)+50(I3)=8
200(I1)-40(I3)=3

The answers I got for I1 and I3 arent the correct answers. I've been working on this problem for awhile and am getting frustrated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Doug

Attachments

• cir06.gif
    cir06.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 767
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump please

FAQ: What is the solution to this circuit problem involving Kirchoff's Laws?

1. What are Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem?

Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem is a set of principles that describe the behavior of electric circuits. These laws were developed by German physicist Gustav Kirchoff in the 19th century and are widely used in electrical engineering and physics.

2. What are the two main laws in Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem?

The two main laws in Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem are Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of the currents entering and leaving a junction in a circuit must be equal, while KVL states that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources in that loop.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem to solve circuit problems?

To apply Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem, you first need to draw a circuit diagram and label all the known values and variables. Then, use KCL and KVL to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown variables. Finally, check your solution by substituting the values back into the equations.

4. What is the significance of Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem in real-world applications?

Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem is essential in understanding and analyzing electric circuits, which are used in various electronic devices and systems such as computers, televisions, and power grids. These laws also help engineers and scientists design and troubleshoot complex circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem?

While Kirchoff's Laws Loop Problem is a fundamental and widely applicable set of principles, it does have some limitations. For instance, these laws assume that the circuit components are ideal and do not take into account factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance. Additionally, they are not applicable to circuits with changing magnetic fields, such as inductors. Therefore, these laws should be used with caution and in conjunction with other principles in certain cases.

Back