What is the solution to this electron motion problem?

In summary, the problem involves an electron beam moving along the x-axis in the xy plane with initial velocity vi = 1.95 x 10^7 m/s and experiencing acceleration a = ax + ay with ax = 8.04 x 10^14 m/s^2 and ay = 1.52 x 10^15 m/s^2. The task is to determine the position, velocity, speed, and direction of travel of the electron at a distance of x = d = 0.0100 m from the origin. The kinematics equations were used to solve for these values, but the attempt was unsuccessful. The final answers were incorrect, possibly due to errors in using the equations or not considering all factors
steph35

Homework Statement

As an example of the manipulation of an electron beam, consider an electron traveling away from the origin along the x-axis in the xy plane with initial velocity v = vi. As it passes through the region x = 0 to x = d, the electron experiences acceleration a = ax + ay, where ax and ay are constants. For the case vi = 1.95 107 m/s, ax = 8.04 1014 m/s2, and ay = 1.52 1015 m/s2, determine the following, at x = d = 0.0100 m.

Homework Equations

(a) the position of the electron
yf = m
(b) the velocity of the electron
vf = m/s + m/s
(c) the speed of the electron
|vf| = m/s
(d) the direction of travel of the electron (i.e. the angle between its velocity and the x axis)
= °

The Attempt at a Solution

for this problem i used the kinematic equation and manipulated them and didnt get the right answers..i am a bio major, not a physics major, why do i have to learn this! please somebody help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us HOW you used the kinematics equations... then we can better help you.

well, for a) i found t by using t=d/v and got 5.13E-10 s. i found theta by arctan Ay/Ax and i got 27.9 degrees. so then i used yf=yi+(V_yi)t-.5(9.80)t^2 to find the yf and i got 4.67E-3 and it was wrong.

for b)i found the velocity unit vectors and i got it wrong. i did Vxi= Vi(cos27.9) and Vyi= vi(sin27.9)... so i couldn't go on to c and d

FAQ: What is the solution to this electron motion problem?

1. What is meant by motion in 2 dimensions?

Motion in 2 dimensions refers to the movement of an object in a two-dimensional space, such as a plane or surface. This means that the object is moving in both the horizontal and vertical directions simultaneously.

2. How is motion in 2 dimensions different from motion in 1 dimension?

In motion in 1 dimension, an object is only moving in one direction, either horizontally or vertically. However, in motion in 2 dimensions, an object is moving in both the horizontal and vertical directions, making it a more complex type of motion.

3. What are the two components of motion in 2 dimensions?

The two components of motion in 2 dimensions are the horizontal component and the vertical component. These represent the movement of the object in the x and y directions, respectively.

4. How is motion in 2 dimensions represented mathematically?

Motion in 2 dimensions can be represented using vector quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. These quantities have both magnitude (size) and direction, and can be described using mathematical equations.

5. What are some examples of motion in 2 dimensions?

Some examples of motion in 2 dimensions include a ball rolling off an inclined plane, a bird flying in the sky, and a car moving along a curved road. Projectile motion, such as the motion of a thrown object, is also an example of motion in 2 dimensions.