What is the Specific Heat Capacity of Copper in Water?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a lab assignment to find the specific heat capacity of copper. The solution presented involves using the equation Q=mcΔT and making some simplifications. The calculated value for specific heat capacity is close to the expected value, but some experimental error is expected. The conversation also touches upon the possibility of extending this experiment to other materials and applications.
ChromoZoneX

Homework Statement

This was a LAB assignment.
I need to find the specific heat capacity of a given metal (Cu in this case) in water, I have the following observations.

Mass of water: 249.14g = 0.24914 Kg
Initial temperature of water: 18 C
Initial temperature of metal: 100 C
Specific heat capacity of water : 4190 J Kg-1 K-1
Final temperature of mixture in calorimeter is 19 C
Also, the mass of Cu used: 55.89g = 0.05589 Kg

Homework Equations

Just one,
Q = mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T
-Energy lost by metal = Energy gained by water

The Attempt at a Solution

Applying second eq. ,
(Mass of water)(specific heat cap. water)(Final - Initial temp)= (Mass of Cu)(Specific heat cap.Cu)(final - initial temp)

(0.24914)(4190)(19.5-18)= - (0.05589)(Specific heat cap.Cu)(19-100)

Solving,
Specific heat cap. Cu = 345.88 J Kg^-1 K^-1

However the specific heat capacity of copper should be 380 J Kg^-1 K^-1

Also, I would like to know of it is possible to extend this lab to other stuff (Other than using different metals), given the same apparatus.

Physics news on Phys.org
345.88 is fairly close to 380; when you do experiments like this, don't expect to get results that mimic values given in textbooks down to the last decimal point, there will always be some degree of experimental error. There are a few simplifications that you seem to have made, such as ignoring energy losses to the calorimeter itself, and ignoring the fact that specific heat capacity itself is a function of temperature, which will be part of the reason you should not expect to get "exact" values.

As for extending this type of experiment, sure it can be done. Similar setups can even be used to estimate the heat released (or absorbed) in a chemical reaction.

danago said:
345.88 is fairly close to 380; when you do experiments like this, don't expect to get results that mimic values given in textbooks down to the last decimal point, there will always be some degree of experimental error. There are a few simplifications that you seem to have made, such as ignoring energy losses to the calorimeter itself, and ignoring the fact that specific heat capacity itself is a function of temperature, which will be part of the reason you should not expect to get "exact" values.

As for extending this type of experiment, sure it can be done. Similar setups can even be used to estimate the heat released (or absorbed) in a chemical reaction.

Thank you :D You made my day!

Correct me if I'm wrong but your saying that in an experimental setup, the values can deviate by this much?

PS: It's the first time I'm doing specific heat capacity.

ChromoZoneX said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but your saying that in an experimental setup, the values can deviate by this much?

PS: It's the first time I'm doing specific heat capacity.

Well there isn't really any limit to how much experimental values can deviate from "true" values, it is pretty much a matter of how you perform the experiment. If i was doing this experiment using ordinary equipment found in a high school or undergraduate lab and got an error of ~10%, i think i would be pretty satisfied with the result. If you were using really high tech equipment, then maybe you could expect an error of less than 10%.

thanks!

Related to What is the Specific Heat Capacity of Copper in Water?

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of one gram of a substance by one degree Celsius. It is often measured in units of joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C).

2. Why is specific heat capacity important in scientific research?

Specific heat capacity is important because it helps us understand how different substances respond to changes in temperature. It also helps in calculations involving heat transfer and energy changes in chemical reactions.

3. How is specific heat capacity measured in the lab?

In the lab, specific heat capacity is measured by using a calorimeter. The substance whose specific heat capacity is being measured is placed in the calorimeter along with a known mass of water. The initial and final temperatures of the water and substance are recorded, and using the formula Q = mcΔT, the specific heat capacity of the substance can be calculated.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of specific heat capacity measurements?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of specific heat capacity measurements include heat loss to the surroundings, incomplete mixing of the substance and water, and errors in temperature measurements. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.

5. How can specific heat capacity be used in real-world applications?

Specific heat capacity has many real-world applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems, understanding the thermal properties of different materials used in construction, and in the development of new technologies and products. It is also important in fields such as chemistry, engineering, and environmental science.