What is the speed of sprinter running away from lens?

In summary: No, you found the image distance. If the sprinter was stopped at a distance of 12.0 m, the image distance would remain at 162 mm. What you want to find is the rate of change of the image distance, which is going to be related to the speed of the sprinter. (You might have noticed you didn't use that piece of information yet.)
romeIAM
Firsts of this is not my problem I don't even take physics but it is my girlfriends. She doesn't know how to get the answer an neither do I. I took some physics but not enough for this.

1. Homework Statement

A sports photographer has a 160-mm-focal-length lens on his camera. The photographer wants to photograph a sprinter running straight away from him at 5.5 m/s .

QUESTION:
What is the speed (in mm/s) of the sprinter's image at the instant the sprinter is 12 m in front of the lens?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did some research online and through the book and I understand what it is asking. I visualize the problem in my head but I can't find the correct equations for this.

We just need some guidance on where to look or what equations to use and maybe how to use them.

Thank you physics forums community.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any relevant equations you can supply that might pertain to this problem?

Unfortunately at the moment I do not. Currently on khan academy after the Optics section maybe I will.
I apologize

vela said:
Any relevant equations you can supply that might pertain to this problem?

The only equation i came out with was

1/f = (1/d object) + (1d image)

Good. You're interested in the rate of change of ##d_\text{obj}## and ##d_\text{img}##, so you need to differentiate that equation. This is like a related-rates problem in calculus.

vela said:
Good. You're interested in the rate of change of ##d_\text{obj}## and ##d_\text{img}##, so you need to differentiate that equation. This is like a related-rates problem in calculus.

so i got

1/f = 1/object + 1/ image = 1/160 = 1/12000-mm + 1/image =(37/6000)-mm is the image distance
so far am i correct?

Not quite. You found ##\frac{1}{d_\text{img}} = \frac{37}{6000\text{ mm}}##. You have to take the reciprocal of both sides to find ##d_\text{img}##.

vela said:
Not quite. You found ##\frac{1}{d_\text{img}} = \frac{37}{6000\text{ mm}}##. You have to take the reciprocal of both sides to find ##d_\text{img}##.
Yea i noticed it later. so ended up with . (6000/37) - mm which comes out to 162 mm.
so its 162mm/s

No, you found the image distance. If the sprinter was stopped at a distance of 12.0 m, the image distance would remain at 162 mm. What you want to find is the rate of change of the image distance, which is going to be related to the speed of the sprinter. (You might have noticed you didn't use that piece of information yet.)

Related to What is the speed of sprinter running away from lens?

1. What is the speed of a sprinter running away from a lens?

The speed of a sprinter running away from a lens can vary depending on the individual athlete's abilities and training. However, on average, a professional sprinter can reach speeds of up to 27 miles per hour.

2. How is the speed of a sprinter measured when running away from a lens?

The speed of a sprinter running away from a lens is typically measured using a radar gun or electronic timing system. These devices can accurately track the sprinter's speed in miles per hour or meters per second.

3. Does the distance between the sprinter and the lens affect their speed?

Yes, the distance between the sprinter and the lens can affect their speed. The closer the sprinter is to the lens, the more resistance they will experience, resulting in a slower speed. However, the effect is minimal and usually only noticeable at very short distances.

4. Can a sprinter's speed be affected by the type of lens being used?

No, a sprinter's speed is not affected by the type of lens being used. The lens only captures the image of the sprinter and does not have any physical impact on their speed.

5. Is the speed of a sprinter running away from a lens the same as their top speed?

No, the speed of a sprinter running away from a lens is not necessarily the same as their top speed. The sprinter may be able to reach higher speeds in a different setting or with different conditions. The speed captured by the lens is simply a snapshot of their speed at that moment in time.