What Is the Speed of the Block at the Bottom of the Ramp?

In summary, the block starts from rest and slides 11.9m down a frictionless ramp inclined at 30° from the floor. It then slides an additional 26.3m along the floor before coming to a stop. Using two different methods, kinematics and conservation of energy, the speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp was calculated to be 21.598 m/s. However, both methods gave the same incorrect answer due to a mistake in the calculation of the acceleration down the ramp. The correct calculation should use 9.8*sin30 instead of 9.8/sin30. This results in a smaller acceleration, which leads to a lower speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp
pugola12

Homework Statement

Starting from rest an 11kg block slides 11.9m down a frictionless ramp (inclined at 30° from the floor) to the bottom. The block then slides an additional 26.3m along the floor before coming to a stop. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Find the speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp.

Homework Equations

Vf^2=vi^2+2a(d-do)

Conservation of energy: Ebefore=Eafter

KE=.5mv^2

PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this two different ways, and both gave me the same answer, which was wrong. First I tried kinematics.

Vf^2=vi^2+2a(d-do)
Vf=sqrt(2*9.8/sin30*11.9)

(I used 9.8/sin30 because 9.8 is the vertical component, so 9.8/sin30 is the acceleration down the ramp)

Vf=21.598

The other way I tried used conservation of energy.

h=11.9/sin30=23.8

PE=KE
mgh=.5mv^2
gh=.5v^2
v=sqrt(9.8*23.8/.5)
v=21.598

I don't see where I went wrong in my logic, so I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
pugola12 said:

Homework Statement

Starting from rest an 11kg block slides 11.9m down a frictionless ramp (inclined at 30° from the floor) to the bottom. The block then slides an additional 26.3m along the floor before coming to a stop. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. Find the speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp.

Homework Equations

Vf^2=vi^2+2a(d-do)

Conservation of energy: Ebefore=Eafter

KE=.5mv^2

PE=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried solving this two different ways, and both gave me the same answer, which was wrong. First I tried kinematics.

Vf^2=vi^2+2a(d-do)
Vf=sqrt(2*9.8/sin30*11.9)

(I used 9.8/sin30 because 9.8 is the vertical component, so 9.8/sin30 is the acceleration down the ramp)

Vf=21.598

The other way I tried used conservation of energy.

h=11.9/sin30=23.8

PE=KE
mgh=.5mv^2
gh=.5v^2
v=sqrt(9.8*23.8/.5)
v=21.598

I don't see where I went wrong in my logic, so I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Thank you!

In the first case you have used 9.8/sin30. It should be 9.8*sin30
In the second case you used h/sin30. That should have been h*sin30.

PeterO said:
Why is that? I used 9.8/sin30 because sin30=9.8/a, so a=9.8/sin30

I see what I did wrong when I found h, but not when I found a.

*sorry I couldn't get the quote to work right

pugola12 said:
PeterO said:
Why is that? I used 9.8/sin30 because sin30=9.8/a, so a=9.8/sin30

I see what I did wrong when I found h, but not when I found a.

*sorry I couldn't get the quote to work right

Apply logic:

The acceleration down a slope is going to be less than the acceleration in free fall. [Indeed, if the slope is very slight, the acceleration is almost zero]

All sine values are fractions [except for 90 degrees when it is 1.

Do you multiply by a fraction or divide by a fraction if you want a smaller answer?

Hopefully you will agree that you multiply to get a smaller answer.

EDIT: when you got sine 30 = 9.8/ a I think you mistakenly assumed 9.8 and a were sides of the triangle that is the ramp The force vector triangle shows sin30 = a/9.8

Your approach and calculations are correct. The mistake may be in the units used. Make sure all units are consistent and in SI units. Also, check for any rounding errors. Another possible issue could be with the angle used in the calculations. Make sure it is in radians instead of degrees. If the angle is given in degrees, you can convert it to radians by multiplying by π/180. I hope this helps.

FAQ: What Is the Speed of the Block at the Bottom of the Ramp?

1. What factors affect the velocity of an object at the bottom of a ramp?

The velocity of an object at the bottom of a ramp is affected by the height of the ramp, the angle of the ramp, the mass of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the object.

2. How do I calculate the velocity of an object at the bottom of a ramp?

The velocity can be calculated using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the ramp.

3. Does the shape of the ramp affect the velocity of an object at the bottom?

Yes, the shape of the ramp can affect the velocity of an object at the bottom. A steeper ramp will result in a higher velocity, while a longer, more gradual ramp will result in a lower velocity.

4. Can an object have a negative velocity at the bottom of a ramp?

Yes, an object can have a negative velocity at the bottom of a ramp if it is traveling in the opposite direction of the ramp's slope. This can occur if the object is pushed or pulled down the ramp rather than being released from the top.

5. How does friction affect the velocity of an object at the bottom of a ramp?

Friction between the ramp and the object will cause a decrease in the object's velocity at the bottom of the ramp. This is because some of the object's energy is lost to overcoming the force of friction as it slides down the ramp.

Back