What is the speed of the discus at release?

• Thread starter mastiffcacher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the thrower in this problem is attempting to find the speed of a discus at release by completing one revolution in 1.1 seconds. Using the equation for angular velocity and the given diameter of the circle, the thrower obtains a speed of 5.14 m/s. However, the answer given by the computer is 10 m/s, possibly due to a mistake in the question as the correct radius to use is 1.8 meters.
mastiffcacher

Homework Statement

To throw the discus, the thrower holds the discus with a fully outstretched arm and makes one revolution as rapidly as possible to give maximum speed to the discus at release. The diameter of the circle in which the discus moves is about 1.8 . If the thrower takes 1.1 to complete one revolution, starting from rest, what will be the speed of the discus at release?

Homework Equations

I am not sure where to begin. I know that angular velocity=change of theta/change in time.
Velocity=angular velocity*radius.

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep on getting 5.14 m/s. The answer given by the computer is 10 m/s. The only way that I can get 10 m/s is if you use r=1.8 m. I thought the radius would be half the diameter of the circle. What am I missing and what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the circumference of a circle is 2 pi r

I see that but it still leads to (2*pi*.9)/1.1 s=5.14 m/s. If you use 1.8 as the radius then it works out to 10.28 m/s. I have already missed this question in my homework so I am just trying to figure how they got what they got.

Yes you're right - looks like they made a mistake in the question.

FAQ: What is the speed of the discus at release?

1. What factors affect the speed of a discus being thrown?

The speed of a discus being thrown is affected by several factors, including the angle of release, the strength and technique of the thrower, and the wind conditions. The surface of the discus and the rotational speed at which it is thrown also play a role in determining its speed.

2. How is the speed of a discus being thrown measured?

The speed of a discus being thrown is typically measured using a radar gun or a high-speed camera. These devices can accurately track the velocity of the discus as it is being thrown, providing a precise measurement of its speed.

3. What is the average speed of a discus being thrown?

The average speed of a discus being thrown by an elite athlete is around 60-65 miles per hour (mph). However, this can vary depending on the strength and technique of the individual thrower.

4. Can the speed of a discus being thrown be increased?

Yes, the speed of a discus being thrown can be increased through proper training and technique. Strengthening the muscles used in discus throwing and perfecting the rotational technique can help increase the speed of the discus.

5. Does the speed of a discus being thrown affect its distance?

Yes, the speed of a discus being thrown has a direct impact on its distance. The faster the discus is thrown, the further it will travel. This is due to the principles of projectile motion, which state that an object's speed and angle of release determine its trajectory and distance.

Back