What is the Speed of the Speeder Relative to the Ground?

In summary, a speeder is moving away from a police car that is traveling at 27 m/s. The radar gun in the police car emits a wave with a frequency of 7.2 x 109 Hz, which reflects off the speeder's car and returns to the police car with a frequency 310 Hz less than the emitted frequency. Using the equation fo = fs (1 + Vrel/c), the relative velocity between the speeder and the police car is calculated to be 12.92 m/s. The speeder's speed with respect to the ground can then be found by subtracting this relative velocity from the police car's speed, resulting in a speed of 13 m/s.
arod2812

Homework Statement

A speeder is pulling directly AWAY and INCREASING his distance from a police car that is moving at 27 m/s with respect to the ground. The radar gun in the police car emits an electromagnetic wave with a frequency of 7.2 x 109 Hz. The wave reflects from the speeder's car and returns to the police car, where its frequency is measured to be 310 Hz less than the emitted frequency. Find the speeder's speed with respect to the ground.

Homework Equations

WHAT do I do with the answer that I get for relative velocity?
DO I subtract the 27 m/s from the 12.92 that I got as an answer??

The Attempt at a Solution

fo=fs (1+Vrel/c)
Then I rearranged the equation to solve for the relative velocity.

I got: [(Change in frequency)/fs] * speed of light = relative velocity
which is 310 Hz/7.2E9 *3E8 = 12.92

Physics news on Phys.org
If the cop is moving at 27 m/s, and according to the cop the speeder is moving at 13 m/s, then what is the speeder's speed?? That, my friend, is an easy question. You've done the hard part already. Ponder this: 27-13 is 14 m/s, and 27+13 is 40 m/s. Convert these to mph and you tell me which one is more likely to represent a speeder.

gotcha. thanks!

Related to What is the Speed of the Speeder Relative to the Ground?

1. What is the Doppler Effect?

The Doppler Effect is the change in frequency or pitch of a sound wave when the source of the sound is moving towards or away from the observer. This can be observed in everyday situations, such as hearing a train whistle change in pitch as it approaches and passes by.

2. How does the Doppler Effect apply to a police car?

When a police car is moving towards an observer, the sound waves from its siren are compressed, resulting in a higher frequency and a higher pitch. As the police car moves away from the observer, the sound waves are stretched, resulting in a lower frequency and a lower pitch. This change in frequency is known as the Doppler Effect.

3. Why do police cars use sirens with a varying pitch?

Police cars use sirens with a varying pitch to take advantage of the Doppler Effect. This allows the siren to be easily heard by drivers in front of and behind the police car, as well as indicating to other drivers that the police car is approaching or moving away from them.

4. How does the Doppler Effect help police cars?

The Doppler Effect helps police cars by making their sirens more effective at alerting drivers and getting their attention. It also allows police cars to quickly and safely move through traffic by indicating their direction of travel.

5. Can the Doppler Effect be observed with other moving objects besides police cars?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed with any moving object that is producing sound. This includes ambulances, fire trucks, and even a person riding a bicycle. It can also be observed with non-audible waves, such as light waves, resulting in a change in color for objects moving towards or away from an observer.