What is the speed of the string? (wave problem)

In summary, when replacing the string with one of the same material and tension but double the radius, the speed of the wave will be half of the original speed (v0/2). This is because doubling the radius does not mean doubling the mass, but rather increasing it by a factor of 4.
bored2death97

Homework Statement

A wave travels along a spring at speed v0. What will be the speed if the string is replaced by one made of the same material and under the same tension but having twice the radius.

Answer in book says (v0/2)

Homework Equations

v=√(T/μ)
speed= square root of (tension divided by mu)

μ=m/L
mu= mass/length

The Attempt at a Solution

With the first equation I filled in the equation for mu. Assuming twice the radius would mean twice the mass, I multiplied mass by 2.

v=√[T/(2m/L)]

v=√(TL/2m)

Then if I were to take the value of 2 out of the square root, I would get v=0.707[√(TL/m)]

Rearrange and get v/0.707

So where did I go wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
bored2death97 said:

Homework Statement

A wave travels along a spring at speed v0. What will be the speed if the string is replaced by one made of the same material and under the same tension but having twice the radius.

Answer in book says (v0/2)

Homework Equations

v=√(T/μ)
speed= square root of (tension divided by mu)

μ=m/L
mu= mass/length

The Attempt at a Solution

With the first equation I filled in the equation for mu. Assuming twice the radius would mean twice the mass, I multiplied mass by 2.

v=√[T/(2m/L)]

v=√(TL/2m)

Then if I were to take the value of 2 out of the square root, I would get v=0.707[√(TL/m)]

Rearrange and get v/0.707

So where did I go wrong??

Twice the radius doesn't mean twice the mass. If you double the radius of a circle by what factor does the area increase?

Dick said:
Twice the radius doesn't mean twice the mass. If you double the radius of a circle by what factor does the area increase?

It increases by a factor of 4. Thank you.

Related to What is the speed of the string? (wave problem)

1. What is the definition of "speed of the string" in the context of a wave problem?

The speed of the string refers to the rate at which a wave travels along the string. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or centimeters per second (cm/s).

2. How is the speed of the string related to the wavelength and frequency of the wave?

The speed of the string is directly proportional to the wavelength and frequency of the wave. This means that as the wavelength or frequency increases, the speed of the string also increases, and vice versa.

3. Can the speed of the string change depending on the medium it is traveling through?

Yes, the speed of the string can change depending on the medium it is traveling through. It is affected by factors such as density, tension, and temperature of the medium.

4. How is the speed of the string calculated in a wave problem?

The speed of the string can be calculated using the equation v = λf, where v is the speed, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency of the wave.

5. Can the speed of the string be faster than the speed of light?

No, the speed of the string cannot be faster than the speed of light. The speed of light, denoted as c, is the maximum speed at which any object or wave can travel in the universe.