What is the spiral shape produced by an attractive (1/r^2)sin(theta) force?

In summary, the conversation discussed a (1/r^2)sin(theta) force between two bodies, with theta being the angle between the distance and velocity vector. The equation for this force was broken down into pieces, including the distance from the origin (r), and the sine of the arctangent of r multiplied by the change in theta and divided by the change in r (s). The system of equations was then simplified to eliminate s, but it was ultimately determined that the equation is not solvable due to containing two unknowns. The conversation also mentioned that the physical modeling was unfinished.
kmarinas86
I was wondering what shape a (1/r^2)sin(theta) force would produce between two bodies.

theta = angle between the distance between the two bodies and the velocity vector (90 degrees for a circular orbit).

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here I broke it up into pieces:

r = distance from the origin

s = sin(atan(r*θ' / r'))

(A = constant)

r'' = A*s/r^2

System of equations:

r'' = A*s/r^2

r = (A*s/(r''))^0.5

I have no idea how to plot this. I know only as much as the fact that I can set initial values, but I don't know how to get from there to actually plotting the graph.

Last edited:
s = sin(atan(r*θ' / r'))
(A = constant)
r'' = A*s/r^2
System of equations:
r'' = A*s/r^2
r = (A*s/(r''))^0.5
r'' = A*s/r^2 and r = (A*s/(r''))^0.5 is the same equation.
So, you have one equation only. Eliminating s leads to :
r'' = A*sin(atan(r*θ' / r'))/r^2
Since the equation contains two unknows (r ans theta), it is not solvable.
The physical modeling is unfinished.

FAQ: What is the spiral shape produced by an attractive (1/r^2)sin(theta) force?

1. What is the spiral shape produced by an attractive (1/r^2)sin(theta) force?

The spiral shape produced by an attractive (1/r^2)sin(theta) force is called an Archimedean spiral. It is a logarithmic spiral that expands outward at a constant rate while also rotating at a constant angle.

2. How is the spiral shape formed?

The spiral shape is formed by the combination of an attractive force and a rotational force. The attractive force, represented by the (1/r^2) term, pulls particles towards the center while the rotational force, represented by the sin(theta) term, causes the particles to move in a circular motion around the center.

3. What is the significance of the (1/r^2)sin(theta) force?

The (1/r^2)sin(theta) force is a fundamental force in physics known as the inverse-square law force. It is a common force seen in many natural phenomena, such as the force of gravity and the force of electric charges.

4. Can the spiral shape be seen in nature?

Yes, the spiral shape produced by an (1/r^2)sin(theta) force can be seen in various natural phenomena, such as the spiral arms of galaxies, the shape of hurricanes, and the growth pattern of certain plants.

5. How does the strength of the spiral shape change with distance from the center?

As the distance from the center increases, the strength of the spiral shape decreases. This is because the (1/r^2) term in the force equation indicates that the force decreases with the square of the distance. Therefore, the further away from the center, the weaker the force and the less pronounced the spiral shape.