What is the 'spring' constant of a bungee cord?

In summary, the bungee cord behaves like a spring, but it folds instead of becoming compressed when the distance between its ends is less than the unstretched length.
sunniexdayzz

Homework Statement

Consider a bungee cord of unstretched length L0 = 43 m. When the cord is stretched to L > L0 it behaves like a spring and its tension follows the Hooke’s law T = k(L − L0). But unlike a spring, the cord folds instead of becoming compressed when the distance between its ends is less than the unstretched length: For L < L0 the cord has zero tension and zero elastic energy. To test the cord’s reliability, one end is tied to a high bridge (height H = 147 m above the surface of a river) and the other end is tied to a steel ball of weight mg = 120 kg×9.8 m/s2. The ball is dropped off the bridge with zero initial speed. Fortunately, the cord works and the ball stops in the air 14 m above the water — and then the cord pulls it back up. Calculate the cord’s ‘spring’ constant k. For simplicity, neglects the cord’s own weight and inertia as well as the air drag on the ball and the cord. Answer in units of N/m.

Homework Equations

F=ma
T=k(L-L0)
gravity = 9.8m/s^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to figure out the Tension by using f=ma
I assumed that acceleration at the bottom of the rope was 0 .. but now thinking about it i don't think that's true. so then if T is tension and G is the mass x gravity then T + G = ma

then i would plug in T for hooke's law and solve for k.

I guess my biggest problem is figuring out what T is.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a dynamics problem, so you better treat it as such.

Consider the motion in two phases.
Phase 1: There is no tension in the cord, the ball has not fallen far enough to pull the cord tight.
Phase 2: The ball is continuing to fall, with the cord acting like a spring.

Solve the first phase, and find out the time when the first phase ends, the position and velocity at that time. These become the initial conditions for the second phase.

Solve the second phase, using the terminal conditions from the first phase as initial conditions. Carry the solution to the max displacement which was a given value. Use this to evaluate your final constants.

Now you should be able to back out the required value for the spring constant.

It is just a little bit more than simple plug and chug!

thank you for your help!

i figured out phase 1, but i am not sure about phase 2. i tried using conservation of energy from when the tension begins to the final length of the cord, using final kinetic energy + final potential energy = initial potential energy + initial kinetic energy and solving for k .. but I'm not getting the right answer .. do u have any suggestions?

Related to What is the 'spring' constant of a bungee cord?

What is tension in a bungee cord?

Tension in a bungee cord is the force or pull that is exerted on the cord when it is stretched or pulled from both ends.

How does tension affect the performance of a bungee cord?

Tension is a crucial factor in the performance of a bungee cord. It determines how much the cord can stretch and how much weight it can support without breaking.

What happens if there is too much tension in a bungee cord?

If there is too much tension in a bungee cord, it can lead to the cord breaking or snapping, causing potential injury or damage. It can also result in a shorter and less exciting bungee jump experience.

How is tension calculated in a bungee cord?

Tension in a bungee cord can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force (tension) in a spring (bungee cord) is directly proportional to the extension (stretch) of the spring. This means that the more the cord is stretched, the greater the force of tension.

What safety precautions should be taken regarding tension in a bungee cord?

To ensure the safety of bungee jumpers, it is important to regularly check and maintain the bungee cord to ensure it can handle the desired tension. It is also important to accurately calculate the maximum tension the cord can handle based on its material and length, and never exceed this limit. It is also crucial to have a backup cord and safety measures in place in case the main cord fails.