What is the Strategy for Evaluating Minimum and Maximum Values in Calculus?

In summary, Homework Equations and attempt at a solution were provided. For part a, the h(8) = 2, h'(6) = -2, and h''(4) = -2. For part c, the integral from 0 to 5 is 7, so the multiplied 7 by 7 to get 49. And f(5) = 0, so f(108) also equals 0. For part b, x = 0 and x = 3 were considered, but x = 0 and x = 3 were not considered to be an attempt because it does not decrease before 0. For part b, it seems we're supposed to consider x = 0 and x = 3 as an attempt, but I do not see
a1234

Homework Statement

The problem is in the attached file. The part I need a little help with is part b.

Homework Equations

and attempt at a solution[/B]

For part a, I got h(8) = 2, h'(6) = -2, and h''(4) = -2.
For part c, I found that the integral from 0 to 5 is 7, so I multiplied 7 by 7 to get 49 (because 35 = 5*7). And f(5) = 0, so f(108) also equals 0. I got the tangent line y - 49 = 0(x - 35).

For part b, I think we're supposed to consider x = 0 and x = 3, since this is where the graph starts increasing from decreasing and vice versa. But I also think we have to evaluate the integral at these points. Can someone explain this?

Attachments

• Calculus.PNG
    Calculus.PNG
    25.7 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
a1234 said:
found that the integral from 0 to 5 is 7
The period is not 5, so why is that interesting?

If I consider
a1234 said:
I think we're supposed to consider x = 0 and x = 3
as an attempt, I agree with 0 and 3 but I don't see it decrease before 0... I also see another interval where f is not bigger than at 0 ...

If you want help for part (a) -- and I think you need it -- , please post your working in detail.

[edit] strike because the question is about ##h## and I mistakenly read ##f## --- bedtime :sleep:

BvU said:
If you want help for part (a) -- and I think you need it
Did you make a similar mistake here? I agree with all the answers for a).

Likes BvU
YES ! aaaarrghh

haruspex said:
The period is not 5, so why is that interesting?

I thought the graph would keep repeating every 5 units, but that's not true.
It seems to repeat every 8 units, so could we do this?

integral from 0 to 8 = 1
8*4 = 32
1*4 = 4
integral from 0 to 3 = 3
4 + 3 = 7
y - 7 = 0(x - 35)?

a1234 said:
It seems to repeat every 8 units
You are told it does.
a1234 said:
integral from 0 to 8 = 1
Didn"t you calculate it as 2 in part a?
a1234 said:
y - 7 = 0(x - 35)?
I do not understand that step. What is the gradient of h at x=35?

I didn't count the triangle from 0 to 1 when I first calculated the integral from 0 to 8. I think it should be 1 because the area of the trapezoid is -6, area of the large triangle is 8, and area of the small triangle is -1. So 8 + (-6) + (-1) = 1.

For the derivative at x = 35...
h(35) = integral from 0 to 35 = 7
h'(35) = f(35) = 4 because the graph repeats every 8 units...f(3) = 4 for the remaining 3 units after 8*4 = 32. So the derivative at x = 35 is 4.
If I put it into point-slope form, y - 7 = 4(x - 35) is the tangent line.

a1234 said:
the area of the trapezoid is -6
The trapezoid extends to x=9.

Ugh. I'm making a lot of mistakes here.

You're right, we only need the area of the trapezoid up to x = 8. So then the area of the trapezoid is 5, and h(8) = 2. The integral from 0 to 35 is 2*4 + 3 = 11.
y - 11 = 4(x - 35)

a1234 said:
Ugh. I'm making a lot of mistakes here.

You're right, we only need the area of the trapezoid up to x = 8. So then the area of the trapezoid is 5, and h(8) = 2. The integral from 0 to 35 is 2*4 + 3 = 11.
y - 11 = 4(x - 35)
Looks right.

How do I go about part b?

a1234 said:
How do I go about part b?
Do you understand about local extrema and absolute extrema?
How do you find a local extremum?

The absolute maximum is the highest point over the entire graph. The absolute minimum is the lowest point over the graph. The relative max/min is the maximum or minimum over a certain interval.

I think the first step is to find do h'(x), which is just f(x) and find the critical points and endpoints of the graph. The critical points are 1 and 5, and the endpoints are 0 and 7. And then we need to evaluate g at those values. I came up with the following:
h(0) = 0
h(1) = -1
h(5) = 7
h(7) = 4
The absolute min is -1 and max is 7. The relative min is 0 and max is 4.

a1234 said:
The absolute min is -1 and max is 7. The relative min is 0 and max is 4.
You are asked for the absolute min and max over the whole interval, so yes, -1 and 7.

Okay. Thank you very much for the help!

FAQ: What is the Strategy for Evaluating Minimum and Maximum Values in Calculus?

1. What is the significance of finding minimum and maximum values in scientific research?

Minimum and maximum values are important in scientific research because they can provide information about the range and variability of a set of data. This can help researchers understand patterns and trends, identify outliers, and make more accurate predictions.

2. How are minimum and maximum values calculated?

Minimum and maximum values are typically calculated by sorting a set of data in ascending or descending order and then identifying the smallest and largest values in the set. These values can also be calculated using mathematical formulas or statistical methods.

3. Can minimum and maximum values be affected by outliers?

Yes, outliers can significantly impact the minimum and maximum values of a data set. Outliers are extreme values that are significantly higher or lower than the rest of the data, and they can skew the overall range and variability of the data. It is important for researchers to identify and address outliers in their analysis.

4. How can minimum and maximum values be used to determine the central tendency of a data set?

Minimum and maximum values alone cannot determine the central tendency of a data set. However, they can be used in conjunction with other measures of central tendency, such as the mean, median, or mode, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the data.

5. Are minimum and maximum values always necessary to report in scientific research?

It depends on the specific research and data being analyzed. In some cases, minimum and maximum values may not be relevant or may not provide useful information. However, in most cases, it is important to report the range and variability of data, which includes minimum and maximum values.

Back