What Is the Sum of the Absolute Values of a and b in This Algebraic Puzzle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, solving for real numbers is the process of finding the numerical values that satisfy an equation or inequality. It is important because it allows for precise solutions to mathematical problems. Common techniques include simplifying expressions, factoring, and solving systems of equations. An example of solving for real numbers is solving the equation 2x + 5 = 15 by isolating the variable and finding its value. Tips for solving for real numbers include maintaining balance by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation and checking solutions for accuracy.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----

Let $(a,\,b)$ be a pair of real numbers satisfying

$33a-56b=\dfrac{a}{a^2+b^2}$ and $56a+33b=-\dfrac{b}{a^2+b^2}$

Determine the value of $|a|+|b|$.

-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solution::)

1. MarkFL
2. kaliprasad
3. Opalg
4. greg1313

Solution from Opalg:
[Solution using complex numbers.]

Add $i$ times the second equation to the first equation: $$(33 + 56i)(a+ib) = \frac{a-ib}{a^2+b^2} = \frac1{a+ib}.$$ Therefore $$(a+ib)^2 = \frac1{33+56i},$$ $$a+ib = \frac1{\sqrt{33+56i}} = \pm\frac1{7+4i} = \pm\frac{7-4i}{65},$$ and so $|a| + |b| = \dfrac{7}{65} + \dfrac{4}{65} = \dfrac{11}{65}.$

Alternate Solution from kaliprasad:
Given relations are

$33a-56b= \dfrac{a}{a^2+b^2}\cdots(1)$

$56a+33b= \dfrac{-b}{a^2+b^2}\cdots(2)$

Square both and add to get

$(33a-56b)^2 + (56a+33b)^2 = \dfrac{1}{a^2+b^2}$

or $(33^2+56^2)(a^2+b^2) = \dfrac{1}{a^2+b^2}$

or $65^2(a^2+b^2) = \dfrac{1}{a^2+b^2}$

or $(a^2+b^2) = \dfrac{1}{65}\cdots(3) $

so we get

From 1st relation $33a-56b = 65a$

or $32a = - 56b$ or $4a = -7b$

From (3), we get

$a^2 + b^2 = a^2 + \dfrac{16}{49}a^2= \dfrac{65}{49}a^2 = \dfrac{1}{65}$

so $a = \dfrac{7}{65}, b = \dfrac{-4}{65}$ or $a=\dfrac{-7}{65},b= \dfrac{4}{65}$ and hence

$| a | + |b| = \dfrac{11}{65}$

FAQ: What Is the Sum of the Absolute Values of a and b in This Algebraic Puzzle?

1. What is the concept of solving for real numbers?

Solving for real numbers is the process of finding the numerical values that make an equation or inequality true. This involves manipulating the given equation or inequality using algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and determine its value.

2. Why is solving for real numbers important?

Solving for real numbers is important because it allows us to find the exact solutions to mathematical problems. This is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where precise calculations are necessary.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve for real numbers?

Some common techniques used to solve for real numbers include simplifying expressions, factoring, using the distributive property, and solving systems of equations.

4. Can you give an example of solving for real numbers?

Sure, for example, if we have the equation 2x + 5 = 15, we can solve for x by first subtracting 5 from both sides to get 2x = 10. Then, we divide both sides by 2 to get the solution x = 5.

5. Are there any tips for solving for real numbers?

One tip for solving for real numbers is to always perform the same operation on both sides of the equation to maintain balance. Also, it can be helpful to check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to ensure that it is correct.

Back