What is the tension in a rope supporting multiple weights using a pulley system?

In summary, the man's mass is 100 kg and the block's mass is 50 kg. The man stands on a frictionless surface and dangles the block from a cliff using a pulley. The tension in the rope is determined by the block's weight and the acceleration of the man, which is calculated to be 3.33 m/s. Using the block's mass, the tension is found to be 333 N.
brake4country

Homework Statement

A 100 kg man dangles a 50 kg mass from the end of a rope. If he stands on a frictionless surface and hangs the mass over a cliff with a pulley, the tension in the rope will be:
(A) 250 N
(B) 333 N
(C) 500 N
(D) 667 N

The answer is B but I am having a difficult time setting this one up.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so we know that for the man, T = ma because he is on a frictionless surface and the block is mg = T+ma.
Some others have posted this problem on this site but I need clarification for the second equation listed above. I cannot combine these equations because the masses are different. So, what I did was alter the equations as

man: T=2ma
block: mg = T+ma

substituting gives me: mg = 2ma +ma
therefore, g = 3a and a = 3.33 m/s

But when I go back to my "altered" equations to solve for T, I get 667 N which is wrong. Anyone know what I am doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if the acceleration on the man is 3.33 m/s, and the only force acting on him is the tension, then you that the force of tension is his mass times that acceleration. I think the issue you had was that you plugged it back into your equation T=2ma but you used the mass for the man. At that point 2m for m block = m of the man. So when you plug it back, make sure you use the block's mass. T = 2(50)(3.33) which is B.

When you are dealing with multiple masses (or any of the same variables for that matter), be clear to label them so that you do not mix them up.

I agree with your value for a. Please post your working from that point.

Ok, conceptually that makes sense. I wouldn't be using the man's mass because at that point when he is sliding, only the force due to gravity is acting on the block.

haruspex said:
I agree with your value for a. Please post your working from that point.
Ok, so using the man's mass would be erroneous. To find the tension, I would have to use the mass of the block: T = 2ma = 2(50)(3.33) = 333N. The way I am thinking about this problem is that the tension is created by the object that is being affected by gravity.

brake4country said:
Ok, so using the man's mass would be erroneous. To find the tension, I would have to use the mass of the block: T = 2ma = 2(50)(3.33) = 333N. The way I am thinking about this problem is that the tension is created by the object that is being affected by gravity.
Using the man's mass is ok, but it seems you put m=100kg instead of m=50kg, the man's mass being 2m.

Oh got it hello! Thank you! That was tricky.

Related to What is the tension in a rope supporting multiple weights using a pulley system?

What is a pulley?

A pulley is a simple machine that consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. It is used to lift or move objects by applying a force in a different direction.

How do pulleys work?

Pulleys work by changing the direction of the force needed to lift or move an object. When a rope or cable is passed over a pulley, the force applied downwards on one end of the rope is redirected upwards on the other end, making it easier to lift or move the object.

What are the different types of pulleys?

There are three main types of pulleys: fixed, movable, and compound. Fixed pulleys have a stationary axle and the rope or cable moves in one direction. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and the rope or cable moves with the object being lifted. Compound pulleys combine both fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

How do multiple weights affect a pulley system?

The more weights attached to a pulley system, the more difficult it is to lift or move the object. This is because the weight of each object adds to the overall weight that needs to be lifted, increasing the force required. However, using multiple pulleys, especially compound pulleys, can help to distribute the weight and make it easier to lift.

What are some real-life applications of pulleys and multiple weights?

Pulleys and multiple weights are commonly used in construction, lifting heavy objects, and transportation systems such as elevators and cranes. They are also used in exercise equipment, theatrical rigging, and sailing equipment. Pulleys are even used in everyday items such as blinds and curtain rods.