What is the Tension in a Two Pulley System?

In summary, the problem cannot be solved using mechanical advantage as there is acceleration involved and the length of the rope must remain constant for the problem to be solved.
pinokicake

Homework Statement

Two masses hang by a pulley system shown in the attachment. The masses both weigh the same. Find the tension on the rope.

The first attachment is straight from the book, the second attachment is me redrawing it with labels along with a free body diagram of each mass (vectors not to scale) and the third is another picture with labeled ropes (its relevance is in the explanation of my thinking under "attempt at solution").

Homework Equations

m1 = mass on the left a1 = acceleration of m1

m2 = mass on the right a2 = acceleration of m2

m1 = m2 = m

T = tension

F = ma

Weight = mg

Ideal Mechanical Advantage (IMA) = Fout/Fin

4. The answer provided

The answer is 3/5mg. I will go into how they arrive to this in #5

4. The attempt at a solution

Alright, I know my main problem is this figuring out which mass I designate the input force and which i designate the output force.

My first attempt was saying the the input force would be where m1 hangs and the output force would be where m2 hangs. I also know that with a pulley, the mechanical advantage is the amount of strings supporting movable pulley. So with that said:

2 = Fout/Fin

2 = ma2/ma1

2 = a2/a1

2a1 = a2 this is where my mistake is, the book claims that m1 should be moving twice as fast as m2 or in other words a1 = 2a2.

Now I understand that this should be true. In the third attachment I labeled all three ropes starting with the left most rope 1, 2 and 3. If rope 1 were to lengthen a total of 2 meters, both ropes 2 and 3 need to shorten a total of 1m. This would mean that m1 would move down 2m and m2 would move up 1m. Both the masses are moving at the same time, so for each mass to move to their respected heights, m1 needs to go twice as fast as m2 (it has to cover twice as much distance as m2).

5. The worked solution

With the correction in mind the following is the worked solution to the problem:

-F1 = -ma1 = T - mg

F= ma1 = mg - T

a1 = 2a2

2ma2 = mg - T

F2 = ma2 = 2T - mg

a2 = (2T - mg)/m

2m[(2T - mg)/m] = mg - T [on the left side of the equation m in the denominator cancels and we distribute the 2]

4T - 2mg = mg -T

5T = 3mg

T = 3/5mg

Attachments

• physics forum pulley problem 1.jpg
    physics forum pulley problem 1.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 653
  • physics forum pulley problem 2.jpg
    physics forum pulley problem 2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 653
  • physics forum pulley problem 3.jpg
    physics forum pulley problem 3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

You can use the mechanical advantage for zero acceleration. If the question was what should be m1 to balance m2, the answer would be that the output force (m2g) is twice the input force (m1g) see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechanical_advantage

It is not the case here. The blocks accelerate - it is not balance.

Such problems are solved by assuming constant length of the rope. The length of the pieces 1, 2, 3 should remain constant. L1+L2+L3 = const. The rates of change of the lengths sum up to zero: dL1/dt +dL2/dt+dL3/dt=0. Moreover, L2=L3. If the velocity of block m1 is v1 downward it is v1= dL1/dt, the length of piece 1 increases. The velocity of m2 then should be v2=dL2/dt=dL2/dt=-0.5 v1, the block raises and pieces 2,3 shorten.

The same is true for the accelerations: a1=-2a2. Just so as you explained.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thank you ehild! My question was pretty much why I couldn't use mechanical advantage to solve the problem, and as you pointed out you can only use mechanical advantage when there is zero acceleration.

FAQ: What is the Tension in a Two Pulley System?

1. What is tension in a two pulley system?

Tension in a two pulley system is the force applied by the strings or ropes on either side of the pulleys. It is the force that keeps the pulleys in place and allows them to function properly.

2. How is tension calculated in a two pulley system?

To calculate the tension in a two pulley system, you need to consider the weight of the load, the angle of the pulleys, and the friction between the pulleys and the strings. These factors can be used in various equations to determine the tension in the system.

3. What is the difference between static and dynamic tension in a two pulley system?

Static tension is the force applied to the pulleys when they are not moving, while dynamic tension is the force applied when the pulleys are in motion. Dynamic tension is usually higher than static tension due to the added force of the moving parts.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect tension in a two pulley system?

The number of pulleys in a two pulley system can affect the tension in different ways. Adding more pulleys can reduce the tension needed to lift a load, but it also increases the complexity of the system. On the other hand, reducing the number of pulleys can increase the tension required but simplifies the system.

5. Can the tension in a two pulley system be greater than the weight of the load?

In theory, the tension in a two pulley system can be greater than the weight of the load. This occurs when the pulleys are not frictionless and there is a mechanical advantage in the system. However, in most practical scenarios, the tension should not be significantly greater than the weight of the load.