- What is the tension in each wire?

In summary, the conversation covered two problems related to statics and equilibrium. The first problem involved calculating the force in each rope of a scaffold when a window washer stands 1.00m from one end. The solution involved setting up a torque equation and solving for the force in the ropes, which was found to be 566.66666 N. The second problem involved determining the tension in two wires supporting a street lamp and finding the minimum tension required to support the lamp. The correct solution was found to be 75.0 N for the tension in each wire and 150 N for the minimum tension required.
IB
Statics and Equilibrium

Hi. I read and re-read these problems but I don't get them. Could you please show me how to do them?
STATICS
A 700.0N window washer is standing on a uniform scaffold supported by a vertical rope at each end. The scaffold weighs 200.0N and is 3.00m long. What is the force in each rope when t he window washer stands 1.00 m from one end?
[This is a torque/rotational equilibrium problem]

A Street lamp weighs 150N. It is supported by two wires that form an angle of 120 degrees with each other. The tensions in the wires are equal.
- What is the tension in each wire?
- What is the minimum tension that each wire has to exert to support the lamp? Assume the wires exert equal forces.

I tried to do the second one. Here is my solution, but I don't know if it's right or not:
a) 120 divided by 2 we have 60 degrees. Calculate the complementary angle we have 90 - 60 = 30 degrees.
sin(30)*150 = 75.0 N
Answer: Tension in each wire is equal to 75.0 N.
b) Hmm, this one I'm not so sure, but perhaps it's also 75.0 N. It makes sense if each wire supports half of the weight of the lamp.
Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd need to see some of your work on the first one before I could help.

For the second: One thing should be clear. If the wires were hanging straight down, each would be supporting one half of the weight of the lamp. In that case, the tension in each wire would be 75N.

The wires, however, are not hanging straight down. As the angle of the wires changes, the tension will have to increase - do you see that? If so, then it's clear your answer is not correct.

Do this: start by making a free body diagram of the situation. You can treat the lamp as a point, as the symmetry of the geometry of the situation will pretty much guarantee that there are no torques to worry about here. The tensions in the wires will be in the direction of the wires, and hence will have both horizontal and vertical components. Weight acts only vertically, so how will the vertical components of the tensions have to compare to the weight? How will the horizontal components of the weight have to compare with each other? And what does that tell you about the tensions in the wires?

A little simple geometry will give you the answer.

For the second part of the question, I assume what it means is that we should assume that we can change the angle between the wires. What angle would give you the minimum tension in the wires, and what would that tension be? You should already know the answer to that one.

2(Tcos60)=150
Tcos60=75
T=150

Is that right? :)

And for part b) I think 75.0 N is the most logical, yeah? It can't be less, cos otherwise it won't be able to hold 150.0 N.
----

First one:

Force x distance:
Forces going in one directon = 700x1 and 200 x 1.5
Forces going in other direction = F x 33F = 700*1 + 200*1.5
3F = 1000
F = 333.3333333 etc.333.33333 + T = 700 + 200
T = 900 - 333.33333
T= 566.66666

Am I doing this right?

Problem 2, check. Good job.

Problem 1, mostly check. Keep track of your units and your significant digits. That's a quibble, though. Good job there, too. :)

Thanks so much, Diane_ :)

Related to - What is the tension in each wire?

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object by pulling or stretching it. In the case of wires, tension is the force that is exerted on the wire in order to keep it taut and prevent it from breaking.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can be measured using a tension meter or by calculating the force applied to the wire using its length, width, and material properties.

3. How does tension affect the behavior of wires?

Tension can affect the behavior of wires in various ways. High tension can increase the stiffness of the wire and make it more difficult to bend or deform. It can also cause the wire to vibrate at certain frequencies. On the other hand, low tension can cause the wire to sag or droop and make it more prone to breaking.

4. What factors can affect the tension in a wire?

The tension in a wire can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the object the wire is supporting, the angle at which the wire is suspended, the properties of the wire such as its material and diameter, and the amount of force applied to the wire.

5. How can tension be controlled in wires?

Tension in wires can be controlled by adjusting the force applied to the wire, changing the angle at which the wire is suspended, or using tensioning devices such as turnbuckles or clamps. It is important to ensure that the tension in a wire is within safe limits to prevent it from breaking or causing damage.