What is the tension in the center of the rope in a tug-of-war?

• Thread starter SnackMan78
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the tension in the center of the rope in a tug-of-war with an average force of 500N from each man on a 5-man team is 2500N. If there are two teams pulling against each other, the tension would be 5000N. However, if there is only one team, the net force would be 0 but the internal force in the rope would still be significant. The tension in a rope with mass on both ends and going through a pulley can be found by subtracting the weight of the mass from the tension.
SnackMan78
Textbook question: In a tug-of-war, each man on a 5-man team pulls with an avg force of 500N. What is the tension in the center of the rope?

Is the answer 2500N because each mans force is added together, or since the question uses avg, is the answer 500N? OR am I wrong with both conclusions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like 2500N, unless I'm missing something.

Yes its 2500 the average force they each pull with is 500. you have to combine them all to find the net force because it asks for tension.

Is there only one team, or two pulling against each other? If the latter is true then the answer should be double.

daniel_i_l said:
Is there only one team, or two pulling against each other? If the latter is true then the answer should be double.

I agree. EACH team member exerts 500 N, so one team exerts 2500 N. Thus if there are two teams we have 2*2500 N = 5000 N on the rope.

-Dan

Wouldn't the net force actually be zero. Each team is applying an average force of 2500N but in opposite directions thus the net force in the center of the rope would be 2500N-2500N = 0.

what would be the tension in the rope that has M mass hanging on its both ends, and goes through a pulley?

I got Mg

T-Mg=0
Mg-T=0
subtract them.

If team A pulls on one end with a force, and team B pulls on the other end with an equal but opposite force, there is no net external force on the rope; thus, the rope is in equilibrium (F_net = 0). However, that does not imply that the internal force in the rope is 0. That rope is being strained tremendously, and if it could feel pain, it'd know that the force on it would be greater than 0. So is it 500, 2500, or 5000? Draw a free body diagram around the left side of the rope that cuts thru its center to find the result, noting that F_net=0.

FAQ: What is the tension in the center of the rope in a tug-of-war?

1. What is tension?

Tension is a physical force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It can also refer to mental or emotional strain or stress.

2. How does tension affect the body?

Tension can cause physical symptoms such as muscle tightness, headaches, and fatigue. It can also lead to increased heart rate and blood pressure, and can have negative effects on mental health.

3. What are common causes of tension?

Tension can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, anxiety, and physical strain. It can also be a result of certain medical conditions or underlying psychological issues.

4. Can tension be beneficial?

In small amounts, tension can be beneficial as it can motivate us to take action and improve our performance. However, chronic tension can have negative effects on our health and well-being.

5. How can tension be managed or reduced?

There are various ways to manage or reduce tension, including practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, and seeking therapy or counseling for underlying psychological issues.