What is the tension in the coupling between two trucks on an inclined slope?

In summary, a 5kg truck and a 2kg truck are being pulled up a 10 degree slope by a string with a tension of 43N. The trucks are joined by a light, rigid coupling. The 5kg truck has a resistance of 8N and the 2kg truck has a resistance of 6N. The two trucks are accelerating at 2.5m/s^2. The tension in the coupling is 14.4N. To show that the coupling remains in tension regardless of the tension in the string, it can be observed that even when there is no tension in the string and the trucks are not accelerating, the coupling is still in compression. This means that the
xllx

Homework Statement

A truck of mass 5kg is pulling a smaller truck of mass 2kg up a slope inclined at 10degrees to the horizontal. The trucks are joined together by a light, rigid coupling. The 5kg truck has a resistance of 8N and the smaller truck has a resistance of 6N. The string pulling the trucks is parallel to the horizontal and has a tension of 43N. The two trucks are accerelerating at 2.5ms-2. What is the tension in the coupling?

Also, show that the coupling remains in tension whatever the tension in the string is.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a diagram but I am struggling most on which way the tension in the coupling would be so whether to take it away or add it in the Force part of the equation. I've only done the equation for the first truck, but not sure whether it is right:

F=ma
Tension in string- Resistance- Weight component-Tension in coupling= ma
43-8-5(9.8)sin10-T=5x2.5
26.5-T=12.5
T= 14N

I really have no idea for the second part.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
xllx said:

Homework Statement

A truck of mass 5kg is pulling a smaller truck of mass 2kg up a slope inclined at 10degrees to the horizontal. The trucks are joined together by a light, rigid coupling. The 5kg truck has a resistance of 8N and the smaller truck has a resistance of 6N. The string pulling the trucks is parallel to the horizontal and has a tension of 43N. The two trucks are accerelerating at 2.5ms-2. What is the tension in the coupling?

Also, show that the coupling remains in tension whatever the tension in the string is.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a diagram but I am struggling most on which way the tension in the coupling would be so whether to take it away or add it in the Force part of the equation. I've only done the equation for the first truck, but not sure whether it is right:

F=ma
Tension in string- Resistance- Weight component-Tension in coupling= ma
43-8-5(9.8)sin10-T=5x2.5
26.5-T=12.5
T= 14N

I really have no idea for the second part.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Since all they want is tension in the connection to the second truck, then just consider the second truck in isolation.

You have a resistance of 6N, you have a component of gravity m*g*sin10 and you have the additional acceleration that is 2.5m/s2 of the system times its mass.

The sum of those then should be the tension in the coupling between the lead truck that is being pulled with the string and the smaller truck.

Thankyou

So would this be right:

F=ma
T-6-2gsin10=2x2.5
T-25.3=5
T=30.3N

Thankyou again.

From that how would I show that the coupling remains in tension no matter what the tension is in the string?

xllx said:
Thankyou

So would this be right:

F=ma
T-6-2gsin10=2x2.5
T-25.3=5
T=30.3N

Thankyou again.

From that how would I show that the coupling remains in tension no matter what the tension is in the string?

I would want to check your value for sin10 degrees. (I get .174)

For part 2) consider the case where there is no tension in the string, and the trucks are not accelerating.

LowlyPion said:
I would want to check your value for sin10 degrees. (I get .174)
QUOTE]

Sorry, miscalculation. So it would be:
T-9.4=5
T=14.4N

I'm still slightly confused on the second part. When there's no tension in the string, that would mean that it would not be moving up the slope, so the coupling would be in compression and so if a=0, then
F=ma
6+8+2gsin10+5gsin10+T=0
T=-25.9N

Is this anywhere remotely right?

xllx said:
I'm still slightly confused on the second part. When there's no tension in the string, that would mean that it would not be moving up the slope, so the coupling would be in compression and so if a=0, then
F=ma
6+8+2gsin10+5gsin10+T=0
T=-25.9N

Is this anywhere remotely right?

Is there a picture with this problem?

I've attached a picture, sorry had to draw it on paint.

If the tension in the coupling comes out as a negative does that mean that it is in compresion or just wrong?

thanks

Attachments

• Mechanics.bmp
    230.5 KB · Views: 1,011

Related to What is the tension in the coupling between two trucks on an inclined slope?

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull applied to an object, causing it to accelerate or change its motion.

What are the types of forces in 2D on a slope?

The types of forces in 2D on a slope include the force of gravity, normal force, and frictional force.

How does the force of gravity affect objects on a slope?

The force of gravity pulls objects downwards towards the center of the Earth. On a slope, this force is directed perpendicular to the surface of the slope and can be resolved into two components - one parallel to the slope and one perpendicular to the slope.

What is the normal force on a slope?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. On a slope, the normal force is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the component of the force of gravity perpendicular to the slope.

How does friction affect objects on a slope?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. On a slope, friction acts parallel to the surface of the slope and can either help or hinder an object's motion depending on the direction of the force and the object's mass and surface area.