What is the term for passing on traits to offspring in biology?

• Thread starter Steve Zissou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Biology
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inheritability, which refers to traits that are passed down from parent to child via genetic processes. These traits are a combination of genetic and environmental factors, and the heritability of a trait is an estimate of how much of its variation is due to genetics. The term "traits" is suggested, but the speaker wonders if there is a more technical or jargon-y term for this aspect, with "characteristic" being the only other word that comes to mind.
Steve Zissou
Question for biologists,

Let's say I break my leg. My children will not be born with broken legs.

However, if I have blue eyes, my children might be born with blue eyes.

What is this attribute called? Inheritability? I think there is a proper word for this aspect.

Can you help?

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Traits? It sounds like that might be the work you seek, dominant and recessive traits... laughing I just realized that's in the title...I shall ponder longer...

Likes MarchJanuary
Traits that are passed down from parent to child via genetic processes are referred to as heritable traits. Many traits are the result of a combination of genetic factors and environmental factors (such as height, intelligence, risk of getting certain types of cancers, etc.). The heritability of these traits is an estimate of how much of the variation in this trait seen across a population is due to genetic factors versus non-genetic, environmental factors.

Likes Evo, Steve Zissou and jim mcnamara
jerromyjon, thanks heh heh

Ygggdrasil, I appreciate it. I think that sounds right. Still, I had a molecular bio class (a LONG time ago, heh heh) and there may have been a more technical or jargon-y sounding term. But maybe not. Regardless, I appreciate your response.

I tried scanning the glossary of my organic chemistry textbook and a thesaurus but still no luck. The only other word remotely similar that I found is characteristic.

Likes MarchJanuary

Related to What is the term for passing on traits to offspring in biology?

1. What are inherited traits?

Inherited traits are characteristics or features that are passed down from parents to offspring through genes. These traits are determined by the combination of genes from both parents and can include physical features, behaviors, and susceptibility to certain diseases.

2. How are inherited traits inherited?

Inherited traits are inherited through the process of sexual reproduction. During this process, genetic information from both parents is combined to create a unique set of genes in the offspring. The specific combination of genes determines the inherited traits that the offspring will have.

3. Can inherited traits change?

Inherited traits are determined by genes, which are permanent and cannot be changed. However, environmental factors can influence how these traits are expressed. For example, a person may have a gene for tall height, but if they do not receive proper nutrition, they may not reach their full potential height.

4. Are all traits inherited?

No, not all traits are inherited. Some traits, called acquired traits, are acquired through experiences and environmental factors. For example, a person's ability to play a musical instrument is not inherited, but acquired through practice and exposure to music.

5. Can inherited traits skip a generation?

Yes, inherited traits can skip a generation. This can happen if a recessive gene is passed down from a parent, but is not expressed in that generation. However, the gene can be passed down to the next generation and expressed if both parents pass down the recessive gene. This is why some traits may seem to "skip" a generation.