What Is the Terminal Velocity of a 70 kg Sky Diver?

• Thread starter link1388
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discussed a sky diver's maximum speed and speed after 100m of fall, as well as plotting the speed as a function of time and distance fallen. The solution involved finding the maximum velocity using Newton's 2nd law and then solving a differential equation to find the velocity and position functions. The second integration may require additional resources, such as using Wolframalpha.com.
link1388

Homework Statement

A sky diver with a mass of 70 kg jumps from an aircraft. The aerodynamic drag force acting on
the sky diver is known to be FD =kV^2

, where k=.25 N.s^2/m^2

Determine the maximum speed of free fall for the sky diver and the speed reached after 100 m of fall. Plot the speed of the sky
diver as a function of time and as a function of distance fallen

Homework Equations

F=ma

Fg - kV^2 = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I did find Velocity Max to be

mg -.25V^2 = ma

mg - .25V^2 = 0 (a=0 because of terminal velocity)

Vmax = 52.4 m/s

But I am really confused on finding V(x) so I can find the speed at 100m? : /

Physics news on Phys.org
First find V(t). Apply Newton's 2nd law again:

Fnet = ma = m dv/dt

The forces acting on the sky diver, as you noticed are:

Fnet = mg - k v^2

Now you can solve this differential equation for V(t).

The position function, s(t), can then be found from: V(t) = ds(t) / dt.

Great problem. The first integration is pretty straight forward but the second integration to find dx/dt=v is ugly as is the simplifications. I would suggest going to the Wolframalpha.com site for the math.

Ok I think I got the first integration but the second ones definitely going to be tricky lol Thanks.

Great job calculating the maximum velocity of the sky diver! To find the speed at 100m, we can use the equations of motion:

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad

where Vf is the final velocity, Vi is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and d is distance.

In this case, we know the initial velocity (zero), the acceleration (due to gravity, which is constant at 9.8 m/s^2), and the distance (100m). So we can rearrange the equation to solve for Vf:

Vf = √(2ad)

Vf = √(2(9.8)(100))

Vf = √1960

Vf = 44.2 m/s

So the speed of the sky diver after falling 100m is 44.2 m/s.

To plot the speed as a function of time, we can use the equation:

V = gt

where g is the acceleration due to gravity and t is time. Since we know the acceleration and can assume the starting velocity is zero, we can plot the speed as a function of time using this equation.

To plot the speed as a function of distance fallen, we can use the equations of motion again, but this time solving for distance:

d = Vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2

Since we know the initial velocity and acceleration, we can plot the speed as a function of distance using this equation.

I hope this helps! Remember to always check your units and use the correct equations for the given situation. Good luck!

FAQ: What Is the Terminal Velocity of a 70 kg Sky Diver?

1. What is the Terminal Velocity Problem?

The Terminal Velocity Problem is a phenomenon that occurs when an object is falling through a fluid, such as air or water, and reaches a constant maximum speed due to the balance of gravitational force and drag force.

2. What factors affect the Terminal Velocity of an object?

The Terminal Velocity of an object is affected by several factors, including its mass, surface area, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is falling through.

3. How is the Terminal Velocity of an object calculated?

The Terminal Velocity of an object can be calculated using the formula: Vt = √(2mg/ρACd), where Vt is the terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

4. Can an object exceed its Terminal Velocity?

No, an object cannot exceed its Terminal Velocity as it is the maximum speed that the object can reach while falling through a fluid. However, the Terminal Velocity can change if the factors affecting it, such as the mass or surface area of the object, are altered.

5. Why is the Terminal Velocity Problem important in science?

The Terminal Velocity Problem is important in science as it helps us understand the forces acting on objects in motion and the effects of fluids on these objects. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as physics, aerodynamics, and engineering.

Back