What is the Terminal Velocity of an Object Subjected to Drag Force?

In summary: I think I understand now. So at t=0 the y(t) would be zero and at t=4 seconds it would be 6.125e^-4t?Yes, that is correct.
Yapper

Homework Statement

An object of 0.5kg is dropped from rest at an altitude of h=500 meters. It
falls while being subjected to a drag force, defined as: fD = 2v .
Derive explicitly: v(t), and y(t) and plot v(t) given the initial conditions; use: t between 0
and 0.4 seconds, and v between 0 and -3 m/s
Based on your graph for v(t), what is the terminal velocity? Confirm this result
analytically (either using the limit or using Newton).

Homework Equations

a = dv/dt v = dy/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

For my equation i get 2v - mg = ma setting ma = 0 i solve for terminal velocity and get v = mg/2 = 2.45 m/s but I am having trouble explicitly deriving v(t) and y(t) because I end up with v = 9.8t - 4y which is 1 variable too many. How do I derive the equation for v with t as the only variable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about differential equations?

Replacing a=dv/dt, write up the equation of motion in terms of v and t. It is a first-order linear de. Solve with the initial conditions given.

ehild

I've taken Calc I and II and I am taking Calc III right now and I never remember having to solve these. So far based on what I just been reading i get v(t) = 2.45 - 2.45e^4t with the initial condition being V(0) = 0. is that right? and if so why is the graph backwards. it seems like it should be 2.45 - 2.45e^-4t but I don't see where I made a mistake.

My work:

dv/dt - 4v = -9.8 I multiplied both sides by e^-4t to get v'e^-4t + -4e^-4t = -9.8e^-4t

so that gets me (ve^-4t)' = -9.8e^-4t

I integrate both sides then try to get v by itself and end up with:

v= 2.45 + ce^4t with v(0) = 0 c = -2.45

I changed my frame of reference around and it worked out better using dv/dt + 4v = 9.8.

I also got y(t) = 2.45t + 6.125e^-4t is that right?

You forgot to divide g by m. And clarify, what do you mean by y.
Edit: G has to be divided, not g.
ehild

Last edited:
why would I divide gravity by mass?

y is the displacement in the y direction from the point that the object began following

Well, you are right, I mixed it with weight...

If y(t) is displacement, it has to be zero at t=0.
Also, the original height is given. I think, the problem asks the height as function of t.

ehild

Related to What is the Terminal Velocity of an Object Subjected to Drag Force?

1. What is a simple drag force problem?

A simple drag force problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the force of air resistance or drag on an object moving through a fluid, usually air. This force is important to consider in many real-world situations, such as designing vehicles or understanding the motion of projectiles.

2. How is drag force calculated?

Drag force is calculated using the equation Fd = 1/2 * ρ * v2 * Cd * A, where ρ is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the object, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object facing the fluid.

3. What factors affect drag force?

Drag force is affected by the density of the fluid, the velocity of the object, the drag coefficient (which depends on the shape and surface properties of the object), and the cross-sectional area of the object facing the fluid. Other factors that can affect drag force include the roughness of the surface, the temperature and humidity of the fluid, and any other objects or obstacles in the path of the moving object.

4. How does drag force affect an object's motion?

Drag force acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can slow it down. The larger the drag force, the more it will affect the object's motion. In some cases, such as when an object reaches terminal velocity, drag force can balance out the force of gravity and cause the object to fall at a constant speed.

5. How can drag force be reduced?

Drag force can be reduced in several ways, including changing the shape or surface properties of the object to decrease the drag coefficient, minimizing the cross-sectional area facing the fluid, and using streamlined designs. Additionally, objects can be designed to take advantage of certain fluid dynamics principles, such as the Magnus effect, to reduce drag force.