What is the terminal voltage Vab in this circuit?

• Thread starter Fatima Hasan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, the conversation discusses a question regarding the calculation of voltage in a circuit. After solving the equation, it is determined that the voltage is 11.6 V, but there is some ambiguity about the direction of the current and voltage drop across the internal resistor.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

33_D8_C56_C-_AA1_B-4_DF7-_BE8_F-359039_BA95_BA.jpg

Homework Equations

Vab =| Σ IR - Σ ε |

The Attempt at a Solution

Vab = | - 0.2*2 - (-12) |
= 11.6 V
Can somebody check my answer please ?

Attachments

• 33_D8_C56_C-_AA1_B-4_DF7-_BE8_F-359039_BA95_BA.jpg
    33_D8_C56_C-_AA1_B-4_DF7-_BE8_F-359039_BA95_BA.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 980
Physics news on Phys.org
Perfect!

Likes Fatima Hasan
For me the question is a bit ambiguous, but if they are saying that the open-circuit battery voltage is 12.0V and the internal resistance is 0.2 Ohms, then your answer is correct, but you have labeled the current direction and voltage drop across the internal resistor backwards. The positive terminal of the battery is "a" on the left, and positive current flows out that end of the battery (so it returns into "b" from the outside direction, right-to-left).

Likes Fatima Hasan
Berkeman is indeed correct. I just looked at the values of voltage, current and resistance when I replied.

Likes berkeman

FAQ: What is the terminal voltage Vab in this circuit?

1. What is the formula for finding the terminal voltage Vab?

The formula for finding the terminal voltage Vab is Vab = V - IR, where V is the source voltage, I is the current flowing through the circuit, and R is the total resistance in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the current in order to find the terminal voltage Vab?

In order to calculate the current, you can use Ohm's Law, which states that I = V/R, where V is the source voltage and R is the total resistance in the circuit.

3. What is the significance of finding the terminal voltage Vab?

The terminal voltage Vab is important because it represents the voltage that is present at the terminals of a circuit, which is what powers the circuit and allows it to function.

4. Can the terminal voltage Vab ever be larger than the source voltage?

No, the terminal voltage Vab can never be larger than the source voltage. In fact, the terminal voltage Vab is always equal to or less than the source voltage, depending on the amount of resistance in the circuit.

5. How does the resistance in the circuit affect the terminal voltage Vab?

The resistance in the circuit directly affects the terminal voltage Vab. As the resistance increases, the terminal voltage Vab decreases, and vice versa. This is because a higher resistance means there is more opposition to the current flow, which leads to a decrease in voltage.

Back