What is the Thevenin Equivalent with Dependent Sources?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a tricky Thevenin equivalent circuit with dependent sources. The suggestion is to add a test current supply at the output to determine the input voltage V, and then use that to find the Thevenin resistance. Placing a load resistor at a-b can also help find an expression for the power through R. The conversation ends with the suggestion to stick a load resistor on the output and solve for the voltage to pick out the Thevenin voltage and resistance.
Master Key
hi everybody,

please help me if you can the question in this link .

i try many many times but i don't know how i can solve thevenin equivalent with dependent sources.

tomorrow i have a home quiz on this question.

http://imageupload.org/?d=49E036571

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tricky one, as the Thevenin resistance of the circuit will be load dependent.

I suggest that you add a 'test' current supply at the output and determine what the input voltage V will be. The Thevenin resistance will be V/I. You'll find that V and V/I depend upon the value of the test current.

If a load resistor R is placed at a-b, then the current through it will V/R. You should be able to use this fact with the expression that you found for the output voltage to find an expression for the power through R.

EDIT: Perhaps I was too hasty in my evaluation. If you just stick a load resistor on the output and solve for the voltage that appears across it, the form of the resulting expression should look very familiar. You should be able to pick the Thevenin voltage and resistance out of it by inspection!

Last edited:
thanks alot

Related to What is the Thevenin Equivalent with Dependent Sources?

What is a Thevenin equivalent?

A Thevenin equivalent is a simplified circuit model that represents a complex circuit with a single voltage source and resistance.

Why is finding the Thevenin equivalent important?

Finding the Thevenin equivalent is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a complex circuit without having to deal with its intricate details.

How is the Thevenin equivalent calculated?

The Thevenin equivalent is calculated by removing a load from the circuit and finding the equivalent voltage and resistance at the load's terminals.

What are the advantages of using the Thevenin equivalent?

The advantages of using the Thevenin equivalent include simplifying circuit analysis, predicting circuit behavior, and facilitating circuit design and troubleshooting.

Can the Thevenin equivalent be used for any type of circuit?

No, the Thevenin equivalent can only be used for linear circuits, meaning circuits with linear elements such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.