What is the time constant for an RC circuit discharging?

In summary: So the capacitor will discharge only throught the switch. If you want to be precise, then the discharge will only happen when V_o=0 volts.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7671/untitledtu4.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to tackle this question, but here is my attempt anyhow (wrong I know! )

RC=5000*2*10^-6
RC=0.01

V=Vo*e^(-t/RC)
0.99=e^(-t/0.01)
ln(0.99)=-t/0.01
t=-0.01*ln(0.99)

t=1*10^-4 seconds :cry:

The answer is 4.605*10^-2 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
By the final voltage they mean zero volts (completely discharged). So its voltage at that stage will be one percent of [tex]V_o[/tex] (the left over from the starting voltage).

Oh, so If I change my equation to

0.01=e^(-t/0.01)
ln(0.01)=-t/0.01
t=-0.01ln(0.01)

t=0.461 seconds

Thanks!

You can mark the voltage axis off in two ways, either in terms of the initial discharge voltage [tex]V_o[/tex] in which case the 100% will be at the top and the 0% will be at the bottom next to the 0 volt mark, or you could mark it off in terms of the final dicharge voltage, 0 volts. In this case 100% will be at the bottom and 0% will be next to [tex]V_o[/tex]. This means that the 99% of the final discharge voltage will be next to the 1% of the intial starting voltage.

Also 0.01 means divide by a hundred so the answer will be 0.0461 seconds.

Last edited:
Think I got you!

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3517/untitledse9.jpg
There was an amendment because they forgot to add "Take C as 2μF"

Better do one more to double check!
For this one,

RC=8000*2*10^-6
RC=0.016

V=Vo*e^(-t/RC)
0.37=e^(-t/0.016)
ln(0.37)=-t/0.016
t=-0.016*ln(0.37)

t=0.016 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
It is not stated explicitly in the problem, but I assume that the capacitor is charging up when the switch is closed. So it starts out at zero and ends at Vo. The formula you are using is for discharge!

andrevdh said:
It is not stated explicitly in the problem, but I assume that the capacitor is charging up when the switch is closed. So it starts out at zero and ends at Vo. The formula you are using is for discharge!

Ok, I just realized!

I think I'm on the right track now..

V=1.5*e^(-t/RC)
0.63=1.5*e^(-t/0.016)
0.42=e^(-t/0.016)
ln(0.42)=-t/0.016
t=-0.016*ln(0.42)

t=0.014seconds?

No, the charging up formula is

[tex]V = V_o(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{\tau}})[/tex]

for the voltage over the capacitor, that is these two graphs (charge and discharge) are mirror images (mirror along the x-axis) of each other

Last edited:
Ok, gotcha, just double checked with my notes.
My only query is this.
For v, do I substitute the value of 0.63 or 0.37?

The final voltage over the capacitor will be that of the power supply. When the voltage over the capacitor (due to charges accumating on its plates pushed/pulled there by the battery) is equal to that of the battery current stop flowing in the circuit and charging stops.

So, 0.63 it is!

The final voltage over the capacitor, [tex]V_o[/tex], will be 1.5 volt. So 63% of it will be ...

65% of 1.5volts = 0.945V

0.945=1.5(1-e^-t/RC)
0.945=1.5-1.5e^-t/RC
1.5e^-t/RC=0.555
e^-t/RC=0.37
-t/RC=ln(0.37)
t=-0.016ln(0.37)

t=0.016 seconds

That is what I get too.

I'm quite confused as to how you determine if the circuit is discharging or recharging. I noticed that in the 2 examples above, the location of the capacitors are in different places, but at the same time, only the discharge formula is given on the formula sheets where both questions came from.

In your first diagram there is now power source. So the capacitor will discharge throught the resistor (if the capacitor starts out with charge on its plates.)

In the second diagram there is a battery, [tex]V_o[/tex], in the circuit which will pull/push charges from/onto the pates of the capacitor once the switch is closed.

FAQ: What is the time constant for an RC circuit discharging?

What is an RC circuit discharging?

An RC circuit discharging is a process in which a charged capacitor discharges its stored energy through a resistor, resulting in a decrease in voltage across the capacitor and an increase in current through the resistor.

What is the formula for calculating the voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit discharging?

The formula for calculating the voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit discharging is V(t) = V₀e^(-t/RC), where V(t) is the voltage at time t, V₀ is the initial voltage, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

What is the time constant in an RC circuit discharging?

The time constant in an RC circuit discharging is the product of the resistance and the capacitance, represented by the symbol τ = RC. It represents the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge to approximately 37% of its initial voltage.

How does the resistance affect the rate of discharge in an RC circuit?

The resistance in an RC circuit affects the rate of discharge by determining how quickly the capacitor will discharge its stored energy. Higher resistance values result in a slower discharge rate, while lower resistance values result in a faster discharge rate.

What are some real-world applications of RC circuit discharging?

RC circuit discharging has many practical applications, including in electronic devices such as flashlights, camera flashes, and strobe lights. It is also used in various electronic circuits, such as filters, timers, and oscillators. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in electronic systems that require a smooth and gradual decrease in voltage, such as power supplies and audio amplifiers.