What is the Time of Travel for a Train Stopping at Multiple Stations?

In summary, to calculate the time it takes for a train to travel 9.0 km with 6 stations, including 4 intermediate stations, at 1.8 km apart, we can use the following steps: 1. Find the time and distance traveled when the train accelerates from rest at 1.1 m/s^2 until it reaches 94 km/h. 2. Find the time and distance traveled when the train decelerates at -2.1 m/s^2 from 94 km/h. 3. Use the above results to find the time and distance traveled when the train travels at a constant speed. 4. Add up the distances traveled and the time needed for each interval to get the
mybrohshi5

Homework Statement

How much time does it take for this train to travel 9.0 km?

The stations at which the trains must stop are 1.8 km apart (a total of 6 stations, including those at the ends).
Assume that at each station the train accelerates at a rate of 1.1 m/s^2 until it reaches 94 km/h, then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, at which time it decelerates at -2.1 m/s^2. Assume it stops at each intermediate station for 25 s.

Homework Equations

i thought i would need the equation d=vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know it only needs to travel to 5 stations to be 9.0 km but, i do not even really know how to start this one.

I converted all the units to m and m/s so...
94 km/h = 26.1 m/s
1.8 km = 1800 m
9 km = 9000 m

HELP PLEASE :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried working this out and came up with 385.8 seconds or 6.43 minutes but this is wrong.

i think its wrong because i didnt do anything with the deceleration rate because i do not know where to include it or how to really go about this one :(

Hi mybrohshi5

Let's consider when the train travels from station 1 to station 2 (1.8 km) :

The train starts from rest with a = 1.1 ms-2 until it reaches 94 km/h, so you can find the time needed and distance traveled for this case.

To stop, the train decelerates at -2.1 ms-2 from 94 km/h, so you can find the time needed distance traveled for this case.

Now let's take a look when the train travels at constant speed. You can find the distance traveled using the above results then time needed.

Finally, you have total time needed to travel 1.8 km :smile:

Thank you for the reply and your response makes total sense, i am just having trouble with your first part 1.

How would i find the time needed and distance traveled with only knowing those two points of information: 1.1 m/s^2 and 94 km/h?

is there an equation i need to be using that i am forgetting besides the equation d=vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)

Yes, you need another kinematics formula. Can you find it in your book?

The information is not just the acceleration and final velocity, but also including initial velocity. Do you know the initial velocity?

:smile:

initial velocity would be 0.

i believe the equation I am looking for is vf = vi+at

26.1m/s = 0 +(1.1m/s^2)t
t=23.7s
d = 0 + .5(1.1)(23.7^2)
d = 308.93 m

0 m/s = 26.1 + (-2.1)t
t=12.43s
d=26.1(12.43) + .5(-2.1)(12.43^2)
d=162.19m

can you confirm that these are correct?

if these are right how can i find the distance traveled using the above results then time needed as stated in part 3?

well u know that total distance traveled between each station is 1.8km so [tex]d_{tot}=d_{1}+d_{2}+d_{3}[/tex]
and you already told us the speed it will be going during [tex]d_{2}[/tex] (94km/h) so do u have any equations that u have the change of displacement and the constant velocity, and it will give u the time it took to travel that distance?

i used d=vt

so 1800-(308.9+162.2)=(26.1)t

t=50.9 seconds

So now i know the total time it took to accel (d1), stay at a constant velocity (d2) and decel (d3) for a distance of 1.8 km.

so the total time to travel 1.8 km i calculated to be 87.05 seconds.

i multiplied this by 5 (because it takes this amount of time to travel between the 6 stations) then added 25 multiplied by 4 (because of the 4 intermediate stations between the starting and ending stations) so...

... i get an answer of 535.228 seconds or 8.92 mins

can anyone let me know if this answer is correct?

thank you

Last edited:
Yay its right!

thank you everyone for all the help!

Related to What is the Time of Travel for a Train Stopping at Multiple Stations?

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes. It is defined as the rate of change of velocity over time and is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the total time taken, while instantaneous acceleration is the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration gives an overall picture of how an object's velocity changes, while instantaneous acceleration shows the exact rate of change at a particular point in time.

How is acceleration related to time?

Acceleration and time are inversely proportional. This means that as time increases, acceleration decreases, and vice versa. For example, if a car is accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 5 seconds, its acceleration is greater than if it were to accelerate to 60 mph in 10 seconds.

What is the equation for acceleration?

The equation for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This equation is also known as the average acceleration formula.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration affects an object's motion by changing its velocity. If an object is accelerating, its velocity will increase or decrease, depending on the direction of acceleration. This change in velocity will also affect the object's position, as it will cover more or less distance in a given amount of time.