What is the Time Period of a Pivoted Rod with Attached Springs?

In summary: Sometimes I have seen problems stated as: "Assume the spring constants are k1 N/m and k2 N/m, respectively, and that the mass is M kg." With this formulation, the symbols are merely numbers but, unless you use reasonable units, conversion factors may appear in your equations ... which can lead to errors.
Nathanael
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

1254ba4501.2dc01dfc0d.QXhfeq.jpg
[/B]
A system consisting of a rod of mass M and length L is pivoted at its centre P. Two springs of spring constants k1 and k2 are attached as shown. They are relaxed when the rod is horizontal. What is the time period of the rod if it is given a slight angular displacement.

Homework Equations

M = 200
k1 = 20
k2 = 2
Presumably all in SI units

The Attempt at a Solution

I would describe the situation by the equation
[itex](\frac{mL^2}{12})\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2}=-\frac{L^2}{4}(k_1+k_2)\theta[/itex]
Because [itex]\frac{mL^2}{12}[/itex] is the rotational inertia, and [itex]\frac{L^2}{4}(k_1+k_2)\theta[/itex] is (approximately) the torque.

We don't care about the angle at time zero, so we don't need the most general solution (all solutions should have the same period) we just need a particular solution, which could be:

[itex]\theta_{max}\sin(\sqrt{\frac{3(k_1+k_2)}{m}}t)=\theta_{max}\sin(\sqrt{\frac{66}{200}}t)[/itex]

The period should then be [itex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{100}{33}}\approx 10.9[/itex] seconds

But the answer is apparently 6.62 seconds :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks OK to me. It's a little odd that the spring constants differ by so much. You would get 6.62 s if k2 = 40 rather than 2.

Likes Orodruin
I got the samer as you.

TSny said:
Your work looks OK to me.
rude man said:
I got the samer as you.
Okay, thank you both
TSny said:
It's a little odd that the spring constants differ by so much. You would get 6.62 s if k2 = 40 rather than 2.
I actually made a typo... The "correct" answer was supposed to be 0.662 seconds! Those must be some stiff springs!

TSny said:
You would get 6.62 s if k2 = 40 rather than 2.

So perhaps a k1 missing from the definition? k2 = 2k1?
The factor of 10 could be accounted for by having the spring constants in units of N/cm instead of N/m.

Orodruin said:
The factor of 10 could be accounted for by having the spring constants in units of N/cm instead of N/m.
Yes, that could be it.

Orodruin said:
The problem states "[itex]M=10k_1=100k_2=200[/itex]" (which bothers me because N/m does not equal Kg!)
I think the problem creator just made some mistakes.

Nathanael said:
The problem states "[itex]M=10k_1=100k_2=200[/itex]" (which bothers me because N/m does not equal Kg!)
I think the problem creator just made some mistakes.
Yes. It's poor form for an instructor to state numbers without the attendant units. You did the best you could by assuming all SI. But the instructor had no cause to write M = 10k1 etc. as you rightly point out.

rude man said:
Yes. It's poor form for an instructor to state numbers without the attendant units. You did the best you could by assuming all SI. But the instructor had no cause to write M = 10k1 etc. as you rightly point out.
Sometimes I have seen problems stated as: "Assume the spring constants are k1 N/m and k2 N/m, respectively, and that the mass is M kg." With this formulation, the symbols are merely numbers but, unless you use reasonable units, conversion factors may appear in your equations ...

Related to What is the Time Period of a Pivoted Rod with Attached Springs?

1. What is the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation is the time it takes for one complete cycle of an oscillating motion. It is usually denoted as T and measured in seconds.

2. How is the period of oscillation related to the frequency?

The period of oscillation and the frequency are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

3. How is the period of oscillation affected by the amplitude of the oscillating object?

The period of oscillation is not affected by the amplitude of the oscillating object. It only depends on the characteristics of the system and the initial conditions.

4. Can the period of oscillation be calculated for any type of oscillating motion?

Yes, the period of oscillation can be calculated for any type of oscillating motion as long as the motion is periodic and follows a predictable pattern.

5. How is the period of oscillation different from the time period?

The period of oscillation is specific to oscillating motions, while the time period can refer to the duration of any event or process. The time period can also be measured in units other than seconds, while the period of oscillation is always measured in seconds.