What is the Time Taken for a Particle in S.H.M. to Return to its Starting Point?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is finding the time taken for the particle to travel from P to X and back. The solution takes the equation of S.H.M. and finds that the time taken is 2√2a/g + 2√a/g(Π - arccos(1/√3)).
zorro

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is attached to one end of a light elastic string of natural length a and force constant mg/a. The other end of the string is attached to a fixed point X. If the particle is released from rest at X, find time that elapses before it returns to X.

The Attempt at a Solution

Refer the figure made by me (not given in question)
I got the time taken from X to P and P to X [2√2a/g]

The problem I am facing is the time taken to travel from P to B and back
I got the equation of SHM as
x=Asin(ωt + ∂) where A = √3a and ω = √(g/a)
at t = 0 let x = a so that sin∂ = 1/√3
The particle will be again at P after time (say T)
a = √3a sin(ωT + ∂)
sin∂ = sin(ωT + ∂)
∂ = π - (ωT + ∂)
T = 1/ω ( π - 2arcsin( 1/√3 ) )
the total time taken is t = 2√2a/g + √a/g(π - 2arcsin( 1/√3 ))

The answer is t = 2√2a/g + 2√a/g(Π - arccos(1/√3))

In the solution, he took the equation of S.H.M. in terms of cos (not sin) and he too took
t = 0 at x=a
How can the two times taken be different no matter what equation you take?

Attachments

• shm.jpg
    shm.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 533
Physics news on Phys.org
Your phase at t=0 is arcsin(1/√3) and at equilibrium it is 0 but phase can not decrease wth time!
Actually at t=0, x=-a. You can also see why they took the cos function-it is compatible with the increasing phase.
It would be much more convenient if you were to assume x=0 at your supposed x=a.

aim1732 said:
Your phase at t=0 is arcsin(1/√3) and at equilibrium it is 0 but phase can not decrease wth time!

Thanks for your reply.
I did not understand why phase can not decrease with time. Do you mean to say that phase is constant for a SHM?

Phase is ωt+Φ---- ω is positive and time t increases with time:biggrin:.
Φ is your phase constant.

But arcsin(1/√3) is phase constant not phase...
and phase constant is ∂ in my equation

At t=0 arcsin(1/√3) is phase as well as phase constant. But when x=0 which happens at t>0 phase and not phase constant is zero.

One more thing- Till where does the particle perform SHM during upward motion? its amplitude is √3 a
But we calculate its time period only till a distance 'a' from the mean position and not √3a.
In the answer,
t = 2√2a/g + 2√a/g(Π - arccos(1/√3))
The term on the left is obtained considering the acceleration to be 'g' during the motion from X to P and P to X. But in reality the particle executes SHM till a point A which is in between X and P. So acc. to me it is under the effect of gravity alone from A to X (not in SHM) and we have to find the time period of SHM from mean position to A and not P.

But in reality the particle executes SHM till a point A which is in between X and P.
No as soon as string acquires its natural length it tension becomes zero and particle is under free fall----- that is the qualitative difference b/w a string and a spring.

Thanks a ton! It cleared all the paradox!

Related to What is the Time Taken for a Particle in S.H.M. to Return to its Starting Point?

1. What is S.H.M. and why is it considered a tough problem?

S.H.M. stands for Simple Harmonic Motion, which is a type of motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point. It is considered a tough problem because it involves complex mathematical equations and can be difficult to visualize.

2. What are the main factors that contribute to a tough S.H.M. problem?

The main factors that contribute to a tough S.H.M. problem are the initial conditions (such as amplitude and phase), the properties of the oscillating object (such as mass and stiffness), and the external forces acting on the object (such as friction and damping).

3. How can understanding S.H.M. be useful in real-life situations?

Understanding S.H.M. can be useful in real-life situations where oscillatory motion occurs, such as in the motion of a pendulum, a mass-spring system, or a vibrating guitar string. It can also be applied in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy.

4. What are some common techniques for solving tough S.H.M. problems?

Some common techniques for solving tough S.H.M. problems include using differential equations, energy conservation principles, and trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to visualize the problem and break it down into smaller parts.

5. How can I improve my understanding of S.H.M. and its applications?

To improve understanding of S.H.M. and its applications, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and to ask for help or clarification when needed. It may also be helpful to read and study relevant textbooks or online resources, and to participate in discussions or workshops related to S.H.M.