What is the Time to Accelerate a Rotating Disc with Frictional Drag Torque?

• Thread starter bon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, a rotating disc driven by a motor experiences a frictional drag torque and has a constant power input. The time it takes for the disc to accelerate from rest to a given angular velocity can be calculated using the formula t = -I/2γ ln (1-w^2/wo^2), where I is the moment of inertia, γ is a constant, and wo is the steady state angular velocity. To solve this, the differential equation for torque is used and the net torque is found to be P/w.
bon

Homework Statement

A rotating disc is driven by a motor that generates constant power P , and expe-
riences a frictional drag torque
γ ω, where ω is the angular velocity of the disc and γ
is a constant.

If the moment of inertia of the disc is I , show that the time to accelerate
the disc from rest to angular velocity ω is

t= -I/2γ ln (1-w^2/wo^2)

where ω0 is the value of ω in the steady state.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I am trying to solve this by writing out a differential equation..Torque = rate of change of angular momentum..

Now I know J = Iw so i can write an expression for rate of change of angular momentum..Just having trouble working out what the net torque is..

it is of the form F - γω..but how can i write an expression for F given the power is constant P?

I know the integral of Power dt = the integral of F dw..

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry - see it now..ts just P/w right?

i.e F = P/w

Related to What is the Time to Accelerate a Rotating Disc with Frictional Drag Torque?

What is power?

Power is the ability to influence or control the behavior of others or the course of events. It can also refer to physical strength or energy.

How is power measured?

Power is typically measured in watts, which is a unit of power equal to one joule of energy per second. It can also be measured in horsepower, which is a unit of power equal to 550 foot-pounds per second.

What is the relationship between power and energy?

Power and energy are closely related, as power is the rate at which energy is consumed or produced. In other words, energy is the total amount of work done, while power is the amount of work done per unit of time.

How is power generated?

Power can be generated through various means, such as burning fossil fuels, nuclear reactions, or harnessing renewable sources like wind, water, or solar energy. The method of power generation depends on the availability and cost of resources.

Why is power important in science?

Power is important in science because it allows researchers to conduct experiments, analyze data, and make observations. It also enables them to develop and test new technologies and theories, leading to advancements in various fields such as medicine, engineering, and environmental science.