What Is the Total Distance Walked by the Woman in This Vector Problem?

• Thread starter sagaradeath
  • Start date
In summary, the woman walks 132 m in the direction 41° east of north, then walks 170 m directly east. Her final displacement is 275.26 m.
sagaradeath

Homework Statement

A woman walks 132 m in the direction 41° east of north, then 170 m directly east. Find (a) the magnitude and (b) the angle (from due east) of her final displacement from the starting point. (c) Find the distance she walks.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is wrong please help

N displacement of leg 1 = (cos41) x 132m., = 99.62m.
E displacement of leg 1 = (sin 41) x 132m., = 86.6m.

Total N displacement = 99.62m.
Total E displacement = (170 + 86.6) = 256.6m.

a) Magnitude = sqrt. (99.62^2 + 256.6^2), = 275.26 m.
b) Sin L = (99.62/275.26), so L = 22.22 degrees, N of E.
c) (132 + 170) = 302 m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

sagaradeath said:

Homework Statement

A woman walks 132 m in the direction 41° east of north, then 170 m directly east. Find (a) the magnitude and (b) the angle (from due east) of her final displacement from the starting point. (c) Find the distance she walks.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

i think it is wrong please help

N displacement of leg 1 = (cos41) x 132m., = 99.62m.
E displacement of leg 1 = (sin 41) x 132m., = 86.6m.
41 deg. E of North is an angle of 49 deg counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. Use 49 deg in your calculations above.
sagaradeath said:
Total N displacement = 99.62m.
Total E displacement = (170 + 86.6) = 256.6m.

a) Magnitude = sqrt. (99.62^2 + 256.6^2), = 275.26 m.
b) Sin L = (99.62/275.26), so L = 22.22 degrees, N of E.
c) (132 + 170) = 302 m.

wait I don't understand

What don't you understand? When you're calculating the components of vectors, the angles need to be measured from the pos. x-axis. The heading 41 deg. E of North is measured from the y-axis.

so it would be like this

sin(49) x 132=99.62?

That would be the vertical component of the first leg of her walk.

yeah i don't get sorry :(

You are doing your calculations with an angle measured from the y-axis. I'm doing calculations with an angle measured from the x-axis. We're both getting the same answers for the vertical component (N displacement) and horizontal component (E displacement).

I get a slightly different angle, using the N and E displacements and arctan, getting 21.2 deg N of E.

FAQ: What Is the Total Distance Walked by the Woman in This Vector Problem?

1. How do you find the distance she walks?

To find the distance she walks, you would need to measure the length of her entire walking route or track her movements using a GPS device or fitness tracker.

2. Can you calculate the distance she walks without knowing her starting and ending points?

No, in order to accurately calculate the distance she walks, you would need to know her starting and ending points to determine the total distance traveled.

3. Does the terrain affect the distance she walks?

Yes, the terrain can affect the distance she walks. Walking on uneven surfaces or uphill will require more energy and may result in a shorter distance traveled compared to walking on a flat surface.

4. How does her speed factor into finding the distance she walks?

Her speed is a crucial factor in calculating the distance she walks. The faster she walks, the farther she will travel in a given amount of time.

5. Can you use an online tool or app to find the distance she walks?

Yes, there are many online tools and apps available that can track and calculate the distance she walks. These tools use GPS technology to accurately measure the distance traveled.

Back