What is the Total Momentum After Two People Push Each Other on Ice Skates?

• Thread starter jimmyboykun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the problem involves two individuals on ice skates facing each other and pushing off, with masses of 52 kg and 77 kg. The relevant equation for solving this problem is the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the initial momentum is equal to the final momentum. Since the initial momentum is zero, the final momentum will also be zero, as there is no information given about the velocities. Therefore, the total momentum after they have pushed off will be zero.
jimmyboykun

Homework Statement

two persons on ice skates stand face to face and then push each other away. their masses are 52 kg and 77 kg. what is the total momentum after they have pushed off

Homework Equations

the equation that would be most useful here would be P=Pa+Pb the equation for total momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

Im stump on this problem. Two mass are given, but no velocity is displayed. can someone explain to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any other equation involving momentum that you think could be relevant?

Jilang said:
Is there any other equation involving momentum that you think could be relevant?

well I can think of the conservation of momentum equation: m1v1(initial)+m2v2(initial)=m1v1(final)+m2v2(final)

you think I can use this equation?

Yes that's a good equation!

Momentum is initially zero,, what clues does that give you

Dan350 said:
Momentum is initially zero,, what clues does that give you

that the final momentum will be given with their respected velocities.

0+0=52kgv1(final)+77kgv2(final). But I still don't see a way to solve this. Unless I factor the v(final)?

after reviewing it I realize that the total momentum would zero. Because of the fact that only the masses are given and there's no other way to compute this.

FAQ: What is the Total Momentum After Two People Push Each Other on Ice Skates?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a property of a moving object that describes its tendency to keep moving in the same direction at the same speed. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How do you calculate total momentum?

To find the total momentum of a system, you need to add together the individual momentums of each object in the system. This can be done by multiplying each object's mass by its velocity and then adding all of the individual momentums together.

3. Why is total momentum important?

Total momentum is important because it is conserved in a closed system, meaning it remains constant regardless of any internal forces acting on the system. This allows us to make predictions about the motion of objects in a system.

4. How is momentum related to Newton's Laws of Motion?

Momentum is related to Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the law of inertia and the law of action and reaction. The law of inertia states that an object will continue to move at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force, which is described by an object's momentum. The law of action and reaction states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, which can be seen in the transfer of momentum between two objects.

5. Can the total momentum of a system change?

No, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. While the individual momentums of objects within the system may change, the total momentum of the system will remain the same unless acted upon by an external force.