What is the total probability of the particle in state 'N'?

In summary: Yes, that is correct, I was mistaken earlier when I used ##a_n = 1/4## above, should have been ##a_n = 1/4^{|n|}##. So the probability of the particle being in a negative energy state is ##\gamma (1/4)^{|n|}## where ##\gamma = 3/5##. And yes, the final answer is ##\sqrt{3\over 5}\; \left(1\over 4\right)^{|N|} ## for the first question and -1/3 for the second question. Great, thanks a lot!In summary, we are given a state vector | \psi \rangle =
qm14

Homework Statement

State vector :
[itex]| \psi \rangle = \sum_{n = - \infty}^\infty a_n| \psi \rangle [/itex]
where
[itex]a_n= i\sqrt\frac{3}{5}{\frac{i}{4}}^{|n|/2}e^{-in\pi/2}[/itex]

Find the probability of the particle in Nth state.
What is the total probability of the particle in 'N' negative state.

Homework Equations

[itex]|\langle\psi|\psi\rangle| ^2 = 1[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the probability of the particle being in Nth state be [itex]|\langle\psi|\psi\rangle| ^2 =
=> |a_n|^2 = [/itex] ?

[itex]a_n*= -i\sqrt\frac{3}{5}{}\frac{1}{4i}^{|n|/2}e^{+in\pi/2}[/itex]

If so here is my working...
[itex] \sum_{n -\infty}^\infty a_n a_n* \delta_{n m} [/itex]

[itex]\sum_{n -\infty}^\infty ( i\sqrt\frac{3}{5}{\frac{i}{4}}^{|n|/2}e^{-in\pi/2} )(-i\sqrt\frac{3}{5}{}\frac{1}{4i}^{|n|/2}e^{+in\pi/2} )[/itex]

[itex] |a_n|^2 = \gamma [/itex] [itex] \sum_{n -\infty}^\infty(1/4)^{|n|}
[/itex]

where [itex] \gamma = 3/5 [/itex]

How do I go around evaluating this summation from -infinity to +ve infinity though the power is |n|.

Evaluating the summation in the range (0,infinty) yields (3/5)+ 0 ...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello QM, welcome to PF :-)Could that be ##
| \psi \rangle = \sum_{n = - \infty}^\infty a_n| \psi_n \rangle## ?

probability of the particle being in Nth state be ##|\langle\psi|\psi\rangle| ^2## ?
On the same footing: no, but close: ##|\langle\psi_n|\psi\rangle| ^2##

So for N you get ##\sum_{n = - \infty}^\infty a_n| \langle \psi_N|\psi_n \rangle|^2 = \delta(N,n) \ a_n^* a_n\ |\langle \psi_N|\psi_N \rangle|^2 = a_N^* a_N##

Probability for being in N th state with N negative: same procedure (probably dsame answer ?)

Or are they asking for something else: the total probability for the particle being in a state with negative N ? Then you have to sum, but fom minus infinity to 0, not from minus infinity to plus infinity, right ?

Hi,

Yes, I have been asked to find the total probability of a particle in a negative energy state, so how is this answer any different than the previous one. Both summations add up to 1 i.e (-infty,0) and (0,infty)..

I thought negative values of N would be discarded due to the^ |N| power, or is my concept of absolute function wrong...

Edit correction... Using N= -infty gives infinite as an answer, am I right in assuming that this indicates the unattainability of negative states?

Last edited:
##\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}## should give 1 After all it is a probability.
How do you calculate ##|a_n|^2## and how do you calculate the sum ?

I have calculated [itex]|a_n|^2[/itex] above, I have split summation into two parts..
[itex]\sum_{-\infty}^{0} (1/4)^{|n|} = (1/4)^{-\infty} + (1/4)^{0} = (\infty) + 1[/itex]
Similarly for the range [itex] (0,\infty) [/itex].

Anyone...

##({1\over 4})^{|-\infty|} = 0## but in your summation you skipped over all the intermediate terms !
Why don't you try the easier one first, e.g. ##{1\over 4}+{1\over 16}+{1\over 64} + ... ##

By the way, ## |a_n|^2 = \gamma \sum_{n -\infty}^\infty(1/4)^{|n|} ## is not correct ! It is simply ##
\gamma (1/4)^{|n|} ##

And your concept for the absolute function should be ##|n| = n## for ##n\ge 0## and ##|n|=-n## for ##n \le 0##.

BvU said:
##\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}## should give 1
And it does (fortunately), but you haven't verified that yet. You should do so now.

Last edited:
BvU said:
##({1\over 4})^{|-\infty|} = 0## but in your summation you skipped over all the intermediate terms !
Why don't you try the easier one first, e.g. ##{1\over 4}+{1\over 16}+{1\over 64} + ... ##

By the way, ## |a_n|^2 = \gamma \sum_{n -\infty}^\infty(1/4)^{|n|} ## is not correct ! It is simply ##
\gamma (1/4)^{|n|} ##

And your concept for the absolute function should be ##|n| = n## for ##n\ge 0## and ##|n|=-n## for ##n \le 0##.

And it does (fortunately), but you haven't verified that yet. You should do so now.
I am failing to link together how
##\gamma (1/4)^{|n|}= 1 ##
Intermediate values of above equation ~ (0.333) for the first few terms.. to meet the unity condition ##(1/4)^{|n|}## must be equivalent to (5/3) since constant is 3/5.

What am I overlooking...

Note that there is a summation in front: the SUM over all n must give 1: ##\Sigma\ \gamma (1/4)^{|n|}= 1##
##
{1\over 4}+{1\over 16}+{1\over 64} + ...
## are only the terms ##n = 1,2,... \infty##

You are overlooking the term with n = 0 and the terms with n < 0.

The sum of the terms with ##n = -\infty ... -3, -2, -1 ## gives you the desired probability

##\approx 0.33 ## for the first few terms ? Do you know how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series ?

BvU said:
Note that there is a summation in front: the SUM over all n must give 1: ##\Sigma\ \gamma (1/4)^{|n|}= 1##
##
{1\over 4}+{1\over 16}+{1\over 64} + ...
## are only the terms ##n = 1,2,... \infty##

You are overlooking the term with n = 0 and the terms with n < 0.

The sum of the terms with ##n = -\infty ... -3, -2, -1 ## gives you the desired probability

##\approx 0.33 ## for the first few terms ? Do you know how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series ?

I have finally realized the flaw in my reasoning. I was not taking the negative values into account, presuming that the summation would blow up at - infinity.

I really appreciate your input, thanks! .

Just checking: could you verify ##
\sum_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\ \gamma (1/4)^{|n|}= 1
## and is your final answer to the first question ##\sqrt{3\over 5}\; \left(1\over 4\right)^{|N|} ## and the second -1/3 exactly ?

Related to What is the total probability of the particle in state 'N'?

What is probability in Nth state?

Probability in Nth state is the likelihood that a system or object will be observed in a particular state, given a set of conditions and variables. It is often used in statistical analysis and can help predict outcomes or behaviors.

How is probability in Nth state calculated?

The calculation of probability in Nth state depends on the specific problem or scenario. In general, it involves identifying the number of possible outcomes and dividing it by the total number of outcomes. For example, if you roll a six-sided die, the probability of getting a specific number (such as a 3) would be 1 out of 6, or 1/6.

What is the difference between probability in Nth state and conditional probability?

Probability in Nth state refers to the likelihood of a specific state or outcome occurring, while conditional probability takes into account additional information or conditions. In other words, conditional probability adjusts the probability based on known factors or events.

What is the significance of probability in Nth state in research and experiments?

Probability in Nth state is an important concept in research and experiments as it allows scientists to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. It helps to identify patterns and trends, and can also be used to assess the validity of results.

Can probability in Nth state be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, probability in Nth state can be applied to various real-world situations such as predicting stock market trends, weather forecasting, and medical diagnosis. It is a useful tool for decision-making and risk assessment in many fields.