What is the unit of force in SiC structural optimization?

• Thread starter Richie9384
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Unit
In summary, the paper discusses a simulation of graphene and carbon nanotube growth on SiC, focusing on the structural optimization of the SiC model using a conjugate gradient method. They mention the maximal force component as 1x10^{-4} Ha/a_0, where Ha is the unit of Hartree and a_0 is the Bohr radius. This unit represents energy per unit length, and can be converted to eV/Angstrom.
Richie9384
I'm reading a paper on a simulation of graphene and carbon nanotube growth on SiC, in the paper they give a few computational details about the structural optimization of the SiC model using a conjugate gradient method and they state the maximal force component as
[tex]1x10^{-4}Ha/a_o[/tex]

What is this unit? I'm assuming Ha per angstrom...but Ha seem to be a unit of area...I need to convert to eV/Angstrom

Physics news on Phys.org
I would have guessed that
Ha = Hartree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartree
##a_0## = Bohr radius.

And that gives you energy per unit length, which is what you need.

(ETA: If it were lowercase "ha" would be "hectare" -- if that's what you were thinking. Angstrom is written like Å not ##a_0##)

Likes Richie9384
When I bought carpet for my house it came on a roll that covered 5 x 10-14 hectares per Ångstrom :wink:

Likes e.bar.goum

FAQ: What is the unit of force in SiC structural optimization?

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause a change in the motion of an object. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

2. What is the SI unit of force?

The SI (International System of Units) unit of force is the newton (N). One newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. How is force measured?

Force can be measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. These instruments apply a known amount of force to an object and measure the resulting displacement.

4. What are some examples of forces?

Some common examples of forces include gravity, friction, tension, and magnetic force. These forces can act on objects in different ways and have different effects on their motion.

5. How is force related to Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion describe how objects move in response to different forces. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force. The second law relates the force applied to an object to its mass and acceleration, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction force.

Back