What is the unruh-dewitt detector?

• Thread starter taikoubou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detector
In summary, Unruh-DeWitt detector is a simplified model of a real particle detector that is linearly coupled to the field and can detect one-particle states. It can react to one-particle states when inertial, and can even react in the vacuum when non-inertial. It is attached to the particle and can detect any changes or reactions in the particle.
taikoubou
Dear everybody, this is my first post :biggrin:, I need help here

can anyone tell me what exactly is the unruh-dewitt detector?

I really interest on this effect (unruh), so lately I read many paper about it, but I really struck in what exactly Unruh dewitt detector.

Thx for helping me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unruh-DeWitt detector is a simplified model of a real particle detector. Its basic property is the fact that it is linearly coupled to the field, so that it can detect one-particle states. Indeed, as long as the detector moves inertially in Minkowski spacetime, it really does react to one-particle states and not to the 0-particle state (vacuum). However, when it moves non-inertially, it may react even in the vacuum. The energy needed for the reaction in the vacuum comes from the agency that accelerates the detector (not from the vacuum energy).

Last edited:
if i could say, does roughly speaking, Unruh-Dewitt detector is a theoretical detector which is move together (attach) with particle so it can detect everything happen with a particle?

FAQ: What is the unruh-dewitt detector?

1. What is the Unruh-DeWitt detector?

The Unruh-DeWitt detector is a theoretical quantum mechanical model used to study the effects of particle detection in a vacuum. It was developed by physicists William Unruh and Bryce DeWitt in 1983.

2. How does the Unruh-DeWitt detector work?

The detector consists of a two-level atom that interacts with a quantum field in a vacuum. When the atom absorbs a particle from the field, it undergoes a transition between its two energy levels, which can be detected and measured.

3. What is the significance of the Unruh-DeWitt detector?

The Unruh-DeWitt detector is used to study the phenomenon of particle detection in a vacuum, which is important in understanding the quantum nature of the universe. It also has implications for the study of black holes and the Unruh effect, which suggests that an accelerating observer will perceive a thermal radiation from a vacuum.

4. How is the Unruh-DeWitt detector different from other particle detectors?

The Unruh-DeWitt detector is unique in that it is a theoretical model and does not physically exist. It is used as a thought experiment to study the effects of particle detection in a vacuum. Other particle detectors, such as Geiger counters or scintillation detectors, are physical devices used to detect particles in experiments.

5. What are some current research developments related to the Unruh-DeWitt detector?

There is ongoing research on the Unruh-DeWitt detector and its implications for understanding the quantum nature of the universe. Some recent developments include using the detector to study the detection of particles in a non-inertial frame and exploring its connection to the Higgs mechanism. There are also efforts to develop experimental setups that could potentially test the predictions of the Unruh-DeWitt detector model.