What is the Use of Angle Bisectors in Solving Line Equations?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the other bisector of the angle between two given lines and finding the angle between the angle bisectors. Different methods and formulas are suggested, including shifting the origin and drawing perpendiculars to the sides of the inscribed triangle. The final method involves finding the value of ∠BOC and using it to determine the value of α, which can then be used to find the radius of the inscribed circle.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

One bisector of the angle between the lines given by [itex]a(x-1)^2 + 2h(x-1)y + by^2=0[/itex] 2x+y-2=0. The other bisector is

The Attempt at a Solution

Expanding
[itex]ax^2+2hxy+by^2-2ax-2hy+a=0[/itex]

The angle between the pair of lines is given by

[itex]|\dfrac{2\sqrt{h^2-ab}}{a+b}|[/itex]

But those constants are still unknown to me. I can't really figure out how the given bisector can help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

One bisector of the angle between the lines given by [itex]a(x-1)^2 + 2h(x-1)y + by^2=0[/itex] 2x+y-2=0. The other bisector is

The Attempt at a Solution

Expanding
[itex]ax^2+2hxy+by^2-2ax-2hy+a=0[/itex]

The angle between the pair of lines is given by

[itex]|\dfrac{2\sqrt{h^2-ab}}{a+b}|[/itex]

But those constants are still unknown to me. I can't really figure out how the given bisector can help me?

I suggest shifting the origin to ##(1,0)## and convert the given equation to a homogeneous second degree equation.

Can you take it from here?

Pranav-Arora said:
I suggest shifting the origin to ##(1,0)## and convert the given equation to a homogeneous second degree equation.

Can you take it from here?

Shifting the origin only makes the equation simpler. The basic question still remains the same and this is where I'm getting stuck.

utkarshakash said:
Shifting the origin only makes the equation simpler. The basic question still remains the same and this is where I'm getting stuck.

I am sorry to mislead you. You don't really need to shift the origin.

What do you think is the angle between the angle bisectors?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am sorry to mislead you. You don't really need to shift the origin.

What do you think is the angle between the angle bisectors?

I have already posted the formula needed to calculate it in my original post. However I don't know the constants.

utkarshakash said:
I have already posted the formula needed to calculate it in my original post. However I don't know the constants.

The formula you quote is for the angle between the given pair of line, not the angle bisectors.

And you don't need a formula for angle between the angle bisectors. Think simple. Draw two intersecting lines, draw their angle bisectors and find the angle between them. Its quite straightforward then.

Pranav-Arora said:
The formula you quote is for the angle between the given pair of line, not the angle bisectors.

And you don't need a formula for angle between the angle bisectors. Think simple. Draw two intersecting lines, draw their angle bisectors and find the angle between them. Its quite straightforward then.

Both will be perpendicular to each other. But what about the intersection point? I only know that slope of other bisector will be 1/2. I also need to find a point to find the exact equation.

utkarshakash said:
Both will be perpendicular to each other. But what about the intersection point? I only know that slope of other bisector will be 1/2. I also need to find a point to find the exact equation.
Where does the pair of lines given by the quadratic intersect? You have the equations for those two lines, right?

Try this:
Drop a perpendicular from the incentre O to each of the three sides, meeting AB at C', BC at A' and CA at B'. ∠AOB' = ∠AOC' = α, say; ∠BOA' = ∠BOC' = β, etc. So what does α+β+γ equal? What is ∠BOC in terms of these? You can determine the value of ∠BOC. What does that give for the value of α? Can you use AO and α to find r?

haruspex said:
Try this:
Drop a perpendicular from the incentre O to each of the three sides, meeting AB at C', BC at A' and CA at B'. ∠AOB' = ∠AOC' = α, say; ∠BOA' = ∠BOC' = β, etc. So what does α+β+γ equal? What is ∠BOC in terms of these? You can determine the value of ∠BOC. What does that give for the value of α? Can you use AO and α to find r?

I think you mistook this post for my another post. However, your method was really a good one.

utkarshakash said:
I think you mistook this post for my another post. However, your method was really a good one.
Ah - yes. Just copied it to the right thread for the benefit of anyone else reading them.

FAQ: What is the Use of Angle Bisectors in Solving Line Equations?

What is an angle bisector?

An angle bisector is a line, ray, or segment that divides an angle into two equal parts.

How do you find an angle bisector?

To find an angle bisector, you must first draw the angle and then use a compass to draw an arc from each of the angle's sides. Then, use a straightedge to connect the two points where the arcs intersect. This line is the angle bisector.

Can an angle have more than one bisector?

No, an angle can only have one bisector. This is because the angle bisector divides the angle into two equal parts, and if there were more than one bisector, the angle would be divided into more than two equal parts.

What is the relationship between an angle and its bisector?

An angle bisector divides an angle into two congruent angles. This means that the two angles formed by the angle bisector have the same measure.

Why is finding angle bisectors important?

Finding angle bisectors is important because it helps us accurately measure and construct angles. It is also a useful tool in geometry and can be used to solve various problems involving angles.