What Is the Use of Families of Straight Lines in Geometry?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Families of Straight Lines and the equation L1+kL2=0, which represents a family of straight lines passing through the intersection of two lines. However, this equation does not include L2 in the family and therefore, another equation, lL1+mL2=0, is used to represent all the lines passing through the intersection point.
theow
This is my second post on PF =)
I want to ask what is the use of Families of straight lines?
I am thinking of A Family of Straight Lines Passing Through the Intersection of Two Lines.
We have the equation: L1+kL2=0 where L1=L2=0 and k is a variable, right?
But is it said that L2 is not included in this family?
So why are we using this equation, when it cannot fully represent all the lines with this common properties, so as to classify them into a family?
Please, may you help. Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"We have the equation: L1+kL2=0 where L1=L2=0 and k is a variable, right?"

I cannot make sense out of that sentence. If "L1= L2= 0 and k is a variable" then the equation L1+ kL2= 0 just says "0= 0". It says nothing about any "family of straight lines".

HallsofIvy said:
"We have the equation: L1+kL2=0 where L1=L2=0 and k is a variable, right?"

I cannot make sense out of that sentence. If "L1= L2= 0 and k is a variable" then the equation L1+ kL2= 0 just says "0= 0". It says nothing about any "family of straight lines".

Maybe I wasn't making the question clear enough...

Here's what I find in my textbook:

Given two straight lines
L1: A1x+B1y+C1=0
and L2: A2x+B2y+C2=0
which intersects at the point P(x1,y1)
Substitute P(x1,y1) into L1 and L2 respectively, we have
A1x1+B1y1+C1=0...(1)
A2x1+B2y1+C2=0...(2)
Consider
L: (A1x1+B1y1+C1)+k(A2x1+B2y1+C2)=0, where k is real.
For each value of k, together with (1) and (2), we have
(A1x1+B1y1+C1)+k(A2x1+B2y1+C2)=0+k(0)=0
which shows that L passes through P.
L can also be arranged as
(A1+kA2)x+(B1+kB2)y+(C1+kC2)=0
which shows that L is a straight line.
In conclusion, as k varies,
(A1x1+B1y1+C1)+k(A2x1+B2y1+C2)=0, where k is real,
represent a family of straight lines passing through the point of intersection of L1 and L2.
It should be emphasized that the line L2 is not included in this family. In order to represent all the lines passing through the point of intersection of L1 and L2, th efolloewing form would be used:
l(A1x1+B1y1+C1)+m(A2x1+B2y1+C2)=0, where l and m are real.

So why don't we use the last equation instead?
Thanks.

Welcome to PF!

Hi theow ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
theow said:
L1 + kL2

But is it said that L2 is not included in this family?

Yes … L1 is included, because L1 = L1 + kL2 with k= 0.

But there is no k (unless you include infinity, which is not allowed) for which L2 = L1 + kL2, is there? :smile:
theow said:
So why don't we use the last equation instead?

We do … your textbook says:
In order to represent all the lines passing through the point of intersection of L1 and L2, the following form would be used:
l(A1x1+B1y1+C1)+m(A2x1+B2y1+C2)=0, where l and m are real.

We use lL1 + mL2. :smile:

Related to What Is the Use of Families of Straight Lines in Geometry?

What are "families of straight lines"?

"Families of straight lines" refer to a group of lines that share a common characteristic, such as having the same slope or intersecting at the same point.

How do you determine if two lines belong to the same family of straight lines?

To determine if two lines belong to the same family, you can compare their equations. If they have the same slope and y-intercept, they are part of the same family. Alternatively, if they have the same general form (i.e. both in standard form or slope-intercept form), they are part of the same family.

What is the importance of studying families of straight lines?

Studying families of straight lines allows us to understand the relationship between different lines and how they behave. This can help us solve problems involving multiple lines and make predictions about their behavior.

Can a line be a part of more than one family of straight lines?

Yes, a line can belong to multiple families of straight lines. If two families of lines intersect at a single point, any line passing through that point will belong to both families.

How are families of straight lines related to linear equations?

Families of straight lines are related to linear equations because each family can be represented by a single linear equation. By understanding the equation and properties of a single line, we can make conclusions about the entire family of lines it belongs to.