What is the Value of √i + √-i?

In summary, the value of √i + √-i is either +1/√2 (1+i) or -1/√2 (1+i) when simplified and the value of √i - √-i can be either + or - √2, but only one option can be chosen. The principal square root is the one chosen when there are multiple possible solutions. For imaginary numbers, the principal square root is the one with a positive imaginary component. When there are two imaginary numbers with the same imaginary component, the one with a positive real component is chosen as the principal square root. The definition of principal square roots for imaginary numbers can be found in the textbook or notes.
kini.Amith

Homework Statement

The value of √i + √-i , where i=√-1 is
(a) 0 (b) 1/√2 (c) √2 (d) -√2

Only one option can be chosen

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let (x + iy)2=i
Solving for x and y, I got
√i = +1/√2 (1+i) or -1/√2 (1+i)

Similarly i got
√-i = +1/√2 (1-i) or -1/√2 (1-i)

Now how do I calculate, √i - √-1,
i.e since there 2 possible values for each √i and √-i , which do i subtract from which?

Using another method I got the final nswer as + or - √2 , but u can only choose one of the given options

Physics news on Phys.org
They are asking for the principal square root.

D H said:
They are asking for the principal square root.
How are principal square roots defined for imaginary numbers?
For eg, if you have 1 - i and -1 + i as the 2 square roots, which do you choose as the principal one?
If you have i and -i, which do you choose?

Have you tried looking up the definition in your textbook or notes?

FAQ: What is the Value of √i + √-i?

1. What is the square root of i?

The square root of i is equal to (√2/2 + √2/2i) or (-√2/2 - √2/2i).

2. How do you find the square root of -i?

To find the square root of -i, you can use the same formula as the square root of i, but with a negative sign in front of the imaginary part. So, the square root of -i is equal to (√2/2 - √2/2i) or (-√2/2 + √2/2i).

3. Can the square root of i and -i be simplified?

No, the square root of i and -i cannot be simplified further as they are already in their simplest form.

4. What are the properties of the square root of i and -i?

The properties of the square root of i and -i are similar to the properties of any other square root. For example, (√i)^2 = i and (-√i)^2 = -i. Additionally, the two square roots of i and -i are complex conjugates of each other.

5. How is the square root of i and -i used in mathematics?

The square root of i and -i is commonly used in complex analysis and in solving mathematical equations involving complex numbers. It also has applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the study of alternating current circuits.