What is the value of θ when the error in sinθ ≈ θ is approximately 5%?

In summary, the approximate sinθ and tanθ approximations have an error of almost exactly 10% at θ=43°.
Gee Wiz

Homework Statement

In order to simplify problems in physics, we often use various approximations. For example, when we investigate diffraction and interference patterns at small angles θ, we frequently approximate sinθ and tanθ by θ (in radians). Here you will calculate over what range these are reasonable approximations.

For θ= 43° this approximation has an error of almost exactly 10%:

θ = 43° = 0.75 radians

sinθ=0.682

|sinθ-θ| / |sinθ| ≈ 10%

For what value of θ (to the nearest degree) is the error in sinθ ≈ θ approximately 5%?

Homework Equations

|sinθ-θ| / |sinθ| ≈ 10%

The Attempt at a Solution

So I was not having much luck finding the approximate for 5% so i tried to work backwards with the .75 radians and 10%. I set it up like
|sin.75-.75| / |sin.75| ≈ 10%
which works...so i tried to use the CAS calculator to quick solve the other question and I had no such luck. I attempted to have it solve |sinx-x| / |sinx| = .1...and it gave me an answer of false. I did get the right answer...but I literally just plugged in numbers until it worked out. I was wondering first if there is a better way to solve this not using CAS and second why didn't the CAS system work?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with the Taylor series expansion for sinθ in terms of θ. I would retain only the first two terms. I would then divide this by θ. The first term would then be 1, and the second (quadratic term) would be the deviation from 1. I would set the second term equal to 1/10, or 1/20, and solve for θ.

For this problem, it might just be easier to use the bisection method than be creative.

Chestermiller's method is an excellent way to get started, and if you need more precision then you can refine it using voko's 'binary chop' approach.
why didn't the CAS system work?
Maybe it would help if you got rid of the absolute value symbols. You know which of sin θ and θ will be the larger in the region of interest.

Some other possibilities

1. Retain 3 terms in the taylor series expansion and solve the resulting quadratic equation in θ2 using the quadratic formula.
2. Solve sinθ=0.9θ or sinθ = 0.95θ using Newton's method, with a starting guess from my previous post.

Chet

Thanks you, I appreciate the help

Related to What is the value of θ when the error in sinθ ≈ θ is approximately 5%?

What is the Small-Angle Approximation?

The Small-Angle Approximation is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of a trigonometric function when the angle involved is very small. It is based on the fact that for small angles, the sine, cosine, and tangent functions are approximately equal to the angle itself in radians.

When is the Small-Angle Approximation used?

The Small-Angle Approximation is commonly used in physics and engineering to simplify the calculations involving small angles, which can occur in various natural and man-made systems. It is also used in optics to calculate the diffraction pattern produced by a slit or grating.

How accurate is the Small-Angle Approximation?

The accuracy of the Small-Angle Approximation depends on the size of the angle involved. For angles less than 0.1 radians or 5.7 degrees, the approximation is typically accurate to within a few percent. However, for larger angles, the error can become significant and other methods should be used.

What are the limitations of the Small-Angle Approximation?

The Small-Angle Approximation is only valid for angles less than 0.1 radians or 5.7 degrees. For larger angles, the error can become significant and other methods should be used. Additionally, it assumes the angle is measured in radians, so care must be taken when working with angles in degrees.

Are there any real-world applications of the Small-Angle Approximation?

Yes, the Small-Angle Approximation has many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and optics. For example, it is used in the design of telescopes and microscopes to calculate the angles at which light rays are bent by lenses. It is also used in the analysis of pendulum motion and in the calculation of projectile trajectories.