What is the value of z if its argument is equal to its conjugate?

In summary: However, you said that $|z| = |\overline{z}| < 1$ is not the only solution. I don't understand how you reached that conclusion....so $|z| < 1$ for sure. However, you said that $|z| = |\overline{z}| < 1$ is not the only solution. I don't understand how you reached that conclusion.Well, since we know that $z=\bar{z}$ and $z$ is a real number, then $|\bar{z}|=|z|$. But since $z$ is real then the absolute value can be anything. For example $
Saitama
Problem:
If $z$ is a complex number such that
$$\arg(z(1+\overline{z}))+\arg\left(\frac{|z|^2}{z-|z|^2}\right)=0$$
then

A)$\arg(\overline{z})=-\pi/2$

B)$\arg(z)=\pi/4$

C)$|\overline{z}|<1$

D)$\ln\left(\frac{1}{|z|}\right)\in (-\infty,\infty)$

Attempt:
From the fact that $|z|=z\overline{z}$, I simplified the given equation to the following:
$$\arg\left(\frac{1+\overline{z}}{1-\overline{z}}\right)=0$$
If the argument of a complex number is zero, then it is equal to its conjugate, hence
$$\frac{1+\overline{z}}{1-\overline{z}}=\frac{1+z}{1-z}$$
Solving gives me $z=\overline{z}$. What to do with this? :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have some concerns about the notations you are using. Are you defining \(\displaystyle \text{arg}(z)\) as the principle argument? \(\displaystyle \text{arg}(z)\) is a usually defined as multivalued function .

Which complex numbers equal their conjugates?

This seems to be a "trick question" as 3 of the possible replies are totally irrelevant, and the correct answer doesn't even need any calculation.

ZaidAlyafey said:
I have some concerns about the notations you are using. Are you defining \(\displaystyle \text{arg}(z)\) as the principle argument? \(\displaystyle \text{arg}(z)\) is a usually defined as multivalued function .

That isn't mentioned in the problem statement so I guess we have to go with the usual definition. :)

Deveno said:
Which complex numbers equal their conjugates?

Real numbers are equal to their conjugates but that still doesn't give me the answer.

If $z \in \Bbb R$ what possible values can $\arg(z)$ have?

Deveno said:
If $z \in \Bbb R$ what possible values can $\arg(z)$ have?

arg(z) can be any multiple of $\pi$ but I don't see how this helps. :confused:

Not ANY multiple, an INTEGER multiple.

How does that square with the 4 choices the problem poses?

Deveno said:
Not ANY multiple, an INTEGER multiple.

How does that square with the 4 choices the problem poses?

Yes, integer multiple, sorry. :eek:

That rules out option A and B but how to check for the other two options?

Does the magnitude of a complex number affect its angle?

Deveno said:
Does the magnitude of a complex number affect its angle?

No. So that means $|z|\in (0,\infty)$? That gives me answer D but the given answer is C. :(

That *is* interesting. Obviously I have made an unwarranted leap of logic.

I believe we are OK up to this point:

$z = \overline{z}$.

So let's agree that $z = a \in \Bbb R$.

Our original problem then becomes:

$\arg(a(1+a)) = \arg\left(\dfrac{|a|^2}{a - |a|^2}\right)$

Now $a(1+a) = a^2 + a$.

If $|a| > 1$, this is positive, so its arg is 0, so the other arg must be 0.

However, $a - |a|^2 < a - a = 0$ for such $a$, which would make the second arg $\pi$.

I leave it to you to example the cases $a = \pm 1$.

Thus, it must be the case that $|a| = |z| = |\overline{z}| < 1$.

My apologies for not looking closer.

Deveno said:
That *is* interesting. Obviously I have made an unwarranted leap of logic.

I believe we are OK up to this point:

$z = \overline{z}$.

So let's agree that $z = a \in \Bbb R$.

Our original problem then becomes:

$\arg(a(1+a)) = \arg\left(\dfrac{|a|^2}{a - |a|^2}\right)$

Now $a(1+a) = a^2 + a$.

If $|a| > 1$, this is positive, so its arg is 0, so the other arg must be 0.

However, $a - |a|^2 < a - a = 0$ for such $a$, which would make the second arg $\pi$.

I leave it to you to example the cases $a = \pm 1$.

Thus, it must be the case that $|a| = |z| = |\overline{z}| < 1$.

My apologies for not looking closer.

Before proceeding with any of the above, why are you doing this? :confused:

We already came to the conclusion that $z$ is a real number so $|\overline{z}|$ can be anything. I don't understand why are we getting back to the original equation.

$$arg(z(1+\bar{z}))-arg(z-|z|^2)=0$$

Since $z \neq 0$

$$arg\left( \frac{1+\bar{z}}{1-\bar{z}}\right)=0$$

$$ \frac{1+\bar{z}}{1-\bar{z}}=a>0$$

$$1+\bar{z}=a-a \bar{z} \to \bar{z}=\frac{a-1}{a+1}$$

Since $$|\bar{z}|=|z| =\left |\frac{a-1}{a+1} \right| <1 \,\,\,; a\neq 1$$

Now if $z=0$ it is clear that $|z|<1$ so

$$|z|<1$$

ZaidAlyafey said:
$$arg(z(1+\bar{z}))-arg(z-|z|^2)=0$$

Since $z \neq 0$

$$arg\left( \frac{1+\bar{z}}{1-\bar{z}}\right)=0$$

$$ \frac{1+\bar{z}}{1-\bar{z}}=a>0$$

$$1+\bar{z}=a-a \bar{z} \to \bar{z}=\frac{a-1}{a+1}$$

Since $$|\bar{z}|=|z| =\left |\frac{a-1}{a+1} \right| <1 \,\,\,; a\neq 1$$

Now if $z=0$ it is clear that $|z|<1$ so

$$|z|<1$$

Thanks ZaidAlyafey! :)

But that still doesn't answer my question in my post #12. :confused:

Pranav said:
If the argument of a complex number is zero, then it is equal to its conjugate, hence ...

Can you prove that ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
Can you prove that ?

Let $z=re^{i\theta}$, then $\overline{z}=re^{-i\theta}$. Since the argument is zero, $z=r$ and $\overline{z}=r$ but I don't see why you asked me this. :confused:

Notice that the argument is zero then the complex number is actually a positive real number. So \(\displaystyle arg(z) =0\) implies that $z =a>0$. But if you say that $z=\bar{z}$ that also works for negative real numbers.

Last edited:
ZaidAlyafey said:
Notice that the argument is zero then the complex number is actually a positive real number. So \(\displaystyle arg(z) =0\) implies that $z =a>0$. But if you say that $z=\bar{z}$ that also works for negative real numbers.

Umm...but how does that answer my question in post #12? :confused:

Pranav said:
Umm...but how does that answer my question in post #12? :confused:

I must be interpreting your question wrongly. It would be great if you rephrase it a little bit .

ZaidAlyafey said:
I must be interpreting your question wrongly. It would be great if you rephrase it a little bit .

Ok.

I reached the result that $z=\overline{z}$ and hence, $z$ can be any real number. This mean $|z|$ can be anything. Through your solution, you showed that $|z|<1$ but why do you get a different result than mine and also, how do we know which result is correct? What's wrong with my result? :confused:

Pranav said:
Ok.

I reached the result that $z=\overline{z}$ and hence, $z$ can be any real number. This mean $|z|$ can be anything. Through your solution, you showed that $|z|<1$ but why do you get a different result than mine and also, how do we know which result is correct? What's wrong with my result? :confused:

You only proved that $z$ is real .

ZaidAlyafey said:
You only proved that $z$ is real .

So, from $z=\overline{z}$, we cannot comment on $|z|$. For that we have to get back to the original equation, right?

Pranav said:
So, from $z=\overline{z}$, we cannot comment on $|z|$. For that we have to get back to the original equation, right?

Exactly, \(\displaystyle z=\bar{z}\) tells us that $z$ is a purely real complex number but we have no idea about its modulus.

ZaidAlyafey said:
Exactly, \(\displaystyle z=\bar{z}\) tells us that $z$ is a purely real complex number but we have no idea about its modulus.

Thanks ZaidAlyafey and Deveno! :)

Related to What is the value of z if its argument is equal to its conjugate?

What is the value of z if its argument is equal to its conjugate?

The value of z can vary depending on the specific complex number. If the argument of z is equal to its conjugate, then it is considered a real number. This means that the imaginary part of z is equal to 0.

How do you find the value of z if its argument is equal to its conjugate?

To find the value of z, you can use the conjugate property of complex numbers. This means taking the complex number and replacing the imaginary part with its negative. The resulting number will be the conjugate of the original complex number. From there, you can set the original complex number equal to its conjugate and solve for the real part of z.

What is the difference between the argument and the conjugate of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number in the complex plane. The conjugate of a complex number is the complex number with the same real part, but the opposite imaginary part.

Can the value of z be a complex number?

No, if the argument of z is equal to its conjugate, then the value of z is a real number. This means that the imaginary part of z is equal to 0, making it a purely real number.

Why is it important to know the value of z if its argument is equal to its conjugate?

Knowing the value of z can help with understanding the properties and behaviors of complex numbers. It can also be used in various applications, such as in engineering, physics, and mathematics. Additionally, knowing the value of z can help with solving equations and problems involving complex numbers.