What is the Variational Principle for Estimating Energy of First Excited State?

In summary, the problem requires the use of the variational principle to estimate the ground state energy of a particle with a given mass in a potential of V(x) = Kx4. The wave function for this system is ψ(x)= e^-(ax2). To estimate the energy of the first excited state, the result that <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 is used along with an approximately chosen wave function that is orthogonal to the first. This is determined by looking at the parity of the wave function, with an even wave function being orthogonal to an odd one.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is in a potential of V(x) = Kx4 and the wave function is given as ψ(x)= e^-(ax2) use the variational principle to estimate the ground state energy.

Part B:
The true ground state energy wave function for this potential is a symmetric function of x i.e. ψ0(x)=ψ0(-x). Use the result that <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 along with an approximately chosen wave function, to estimate the energy of the first excited state.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I know how to compute variational method approximations and I have proven the identity <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 earlier on my assignment and understand the identity as well. What I don't understand is the part that says "Use the result that <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 along with an approximately chosen wave function, to estimate the energy of the first excited state."

Again I know that when <ψ0lψ(β)> = 0 the variational principle becomes E1≤ <ψlHlψ>/<ψlψ> but does the problem want me to chose a different wavefunction? And if so how to I go about choosing this new wave-function?

Physics news on Phys.org
The point is to pick a wavefunction which is orthogonal to your first
and use that as a trial to read the first excited energy [again variationally].
The clue is telling you to look at the parity, an even wf. is orthogonal to an odd wf,
so your trial function should be chosen odd.

Likes 1 person

Related to What is the Variational Principle for Estimating Energy of First Excited State?

What is the Variational Principle Problem?

The Variational Principle Problem is a mathematical concept that involves finding the values of unknown variables that minimize or maximize a certain functional. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to find the most efficient or optimal solution to a problem.

How is the Variational Principle Problem solved?

The Variational Principle Problem is typically solved using the calculus of variations, which involves finding the derivatives of the functional and setting them equal to zero. This allows for the determination of the unknown variables that minimize or maximize the functional.

What are some real-world applications of the Variational Principle Problem?

The Variational Principle Problem has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to the motion of particles, the optimization of systems, and the determination of stable equilibrium states.

What is the difference between the Variational Principle Problem and the Principle of Least Action?

The Variational Principle Problem and the Principle of Least Action are closely related concepts. The main difference is that the Variational Principle Problem involves finding the values of unknown variables that minimize or maximize a functional, while the Principle of Least Action specifically applies to systems that follow the laws of motion.

What are some limitations of the Variational Principle Problem?

Although the Variational Principle Problem is a powerful tool for solving optimization problems, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable in some cases where the functional is not well-defined or when the system is highly nonlinear. Additionally, it can be challenging to find analytical solutions for complex problems, requiring the use of numerical methods instead.

Back